Terry Mayhugh's V-12 Merlin

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mayhugh1

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are a few photos of the finished build. - Terry

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tOUQt5fem0[/ame]

1498.JPG

1499.JPG

1500.JPG

1501.JPG

Last edited:
Absolutely stunning.
A beautiful kinetic art container holding thousands of hours of accurate careful planing and labor.

Buchanan

Wow. That is truly amazing. Any chance of a video of it running?

Alan C.

Terry.
Have been following your build-log from the beginning (in the background:)) and it have been a plessure.
And seams like a "easy" starter. But what was the issue with the sudden stop??
CS

Terry.
Have been following your build-log from the beginning (in the background:)) and it have been a plessure.
And seams like a "easy" starter. But what was the issue with the sudden stop??
CS
CS,

I seem to have a signature screw-up that I've applied to the last three engines that I've built. Regardless of all the care and pre-testing that I do, I always manage to plant a problem in one of the distributors that allows the rotor or timing disk to drift out of phase with the crankshaft. This time, a pinch bushing that I machined for the starboard distributor ended up a bit too short and allowed both the rotor and trigger disk to slip. In the run in the video, the starboard cylinder bank was firing only ten to twenty percent of the time. The abrupt end to that run occurred when the timing finally moved so much that the engine backfired through the carburetor. - Terry

Terry: I am hoping the hurricane isn't affecting you guys too much. I heard that the power was off for two days for some people in your area. Keep that Merlin high and dry. Stay safe. Best of luck. Ron

Ron,
Thanks for your concern - we were very lucky. We got only some 40 mph wind gusts and about 6 inches of rain. There are a few road closures and light to moderate flooding in our area, but nothing like Houston and some of the coastal cities experienced. Unfortunately, it isn't nearly over for a few of them. Some have gotten 24 inches of rain, and another 24 inches is coming over the next three or four days. We just got back from getting groceries at Walmart. You can tell which of their suppliers are located in the affected areas from the completely empty shelves.- Terry
Terry

Back