Teflon Spark Plug Boot Mold

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
HI all
Going through my files, came up with this.
Here is a design to make spark plug boots, the internal boot dimensions, can be changed to match your plugs.

Jack
Draw-Tech

Boot_Mold_Assembly.jpg

View attachment Boot_Mold.zip

Hi Dave

Use the long point applicator, or with syringe. Regular red silicone. or two part mix. Regular may take a couple of days to cure. Inject till it flows from opposite end of mold.

Jack
Draw-Tech

Please excuse me for asking, but have you done more with injection molding? In all the furor over 3-D printing, I had almost forgotten that there are other ways to make plastic (and related materials) parts. I might be able to use this technology. Do you have any links or sources where I can learn more about it?

Thank you for your help,

--ShopShoe

Thanks for the posting Jack. Looks good.
Thm:Thm:

Shopshoe: I wrote a tutorial on molding spark plug boots in a slightly different manner about 3 years ago. Near the end of the thread Ken posted some information about using polyurethane for a mold material. You might find that useful.
http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/showthread.php?t=14539
Gail in NM

Please excuse me for asking, but have you done more with injection molding? In all the furor over 3-D printing, I had almost forgotten that there are other ways to make plastic (and related materials) parts. I might be able to use this technology. Do you have any links or sources where I can learn more about it?

Thank you for your help,

--ShopShoe
Hi Shop Shoe
I had a mold made in 1977, cost $5,000 molds are expensive, unless you are going to produce by the thousands.

Jack
Draw-Tech

HI all
Going through my files, came up with this.
Here is a design to make spark plug boots, the internal boot dimensions, can be changed to match your plugs.

Jack
Draw-Tech

I can't open the file am I the only one ??

That's an interesting material, never seen it before. The (low-ish) 71 deg C vulcanization temp might be an issue on certain applications but maybe they make different temperature grades?

Some related possible boot molding materials discussion here starting post 285.
http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/showthread.php?t=21601&page=29

Question for Draw tech, I assume the Teflon reference is the mold block itself? How have you found machining that stuff & does it release off silicones & the like without release agents?

Thanks for the posting Jack. Looks good.
Thm:Thm:

Shopshoe: I wrote a tutorial on molding spark plug boots in a slightly different manner about 3 years ago.
Gail in NM

True! From that article came this idea. The mixture of putty is injected using a 1/4 inch dowel and a drill press or arbor press. Mold is held closed in a vise.

DSCN2133s.jpg~original

DSCN2128s.jpg~original

DSCN2130s.jpg~original

someone needs to send DReeves a spak plug boot. At the last CF show he said feel how nice and cool this engine runs, and without thinking I reached down and......well im sure you can guess what happened next. LOL

Hi Dave

Use the long point applicator, or with syringe. Regular red silicone. or two part mix. Regular may take a couple of days to cure. Inject till it flows from opposite end of mold.

Jack
Draw-Tech

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the info. Been curious about molding silicone. The next boot will be DIY.

Latest posts

Back