Team Build 8

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thinking of making a D bit type reamer for the crank bearing. Anyone make/use one? I'm going to use 1/4" drill rod.
Just looking for ideas as its way to cold to work in the shop today. Need some inside work...

Chuck

I have gone through the entire drawing package checking for fasteners. If I am correct, all that is needed for assembly is 2-56 hex head bolts or screws, from 1/4" to 9/16" long. Am I correct? MicroFasteners has them for $12.40 /100 for 3/4" brassand $11.90/100 for 3/4" ss, shipped.

Chuck

well since the world didnt end today,
I spent some time in the shop, and this is what ive gotten done so far.
Next is to get the 2/56 threads on the ends.

chris

photo.JPG

photko.JPG

I got some time in the shop and got some of the .125 pins cut to length and the spacers cut to length and tapped. I still need to cut the contour on them. I hope to get more done in the next few days. I made the spacers from brass. I hope everyone is ok with that. I hate to tap small hole in steel. I was going to make them in aluminum but with the concern of the strength of the thread I went with the next best thing.

In the 3rd picture you can see the .125 Pins that still need to be drilled and tapped

Dave

a1.jpg

a3.jpg

a5.jpg

a6.jpg

Seeing all the progress you guys have been making has got me off my behind...

here are the valve chest packing glands
100_4443.jpg

There is a dimension missing on the plans for the valve spindle, the last bit that rides in the top of the valve chest. I am going to assume .25", and will adjust if
needed after I make the 1st one, and let you all know.

Cheers, Joe

Joe, Looking good

Dave

The pistons are .485 but the orings are made to fit .500 so the cylinders should be made to .500
Correct?

Hi Chris The cyl. are done And at .500 +/- .Working on the bottem head having alot of trouble getting everything centered .
Get things all set with the indacator and then it all changes . Will have pictures soon . Dale

Just letting you guys know I'm not frozen solid up here (-23 C or -9 F tonight) and I am working on my parts. Starting with the eccentric. I'm just about set up for a small "production" run but will do that tomorrow when I'm more awake and less prone to errors...plus I have a question. The drawing says to use 2 set screws 90 degrees apart but does not list a size/ thread. Recommendations? Its a 0.5" collar that has the 1/4" crankshaft going through. Also, am I to supply the set screws?

I'll grab a picture of my setup and 1st parts tomorrow - batteries are dead tonight (to many family pics over Christmas...)

Mike

Hi Mike

I'd be happy with 2-56 for the set screws, would be in keeping with the rest
of the fasteners. That said, I think you could go up to 4-40 without it
looking too wonky. As to whether or not you supply them: did we
finally decide on this or are we all supplying our own fasteners?

I notice that Ottawa apparently had lots of -23 to go around, you sent us
some in Montreal.....

Joe

I am supplying the 256 nits and 440 nuts that are needed with my parts.
I needed to getsometo check my threads anyway.
I am quite good friends with the local rc hobby shop and they have plenty of those small fasteners.
Cannot wait to see some pics
Chris

I used a 2-56 set screw in the rocker. I will send along one with them. I'm going to use all stainless bolts on my engine so I will use my own hardware

Dave

Looks like things are really looking good ... I've been under the weather now for about 2 weeks. Thought I would catch up a bit.

Chris ... Pistons and all those little pieces look great. :)
Dave ... More little pieces, that brass will really put some nice contrast on that engine. Glad you switched.:)
Joe ... More nice and shinny brass. :) I also came up with .25 for that dimension. Although you didn't mention it ... that hole location for the 2-56 thread is also missing. I came up .066" from the right end.

Mike ... If not to late... the 2-56 set screws would match the mounting hardware for the straps. Also since this hardware is somewhat unique if you have them and it's not a problem ... providing them would be great.:)

Way back when I suggested that we provide are own hardware .. that way each builder can make or buy whatever style. But there are exception as noted.

More later...

Pat H.

Pat,

I didn't get into making the eccentrics yesterday - I was too tired to do it safely / properly so I stayed out of the shop (lesson learned the hard way)

Hopefully tonight should be good to go. I'll use 2-56 as the thread but I don't have any set screws that size to provide - sorry. I'll do a quick search locally to see if I can come up with them but no promises.

Mike​

Mile let me Check how many I have. I may have enough to give you

Dave

I posted as a nooby with questions in another forum here and after spending some time reading this thread (and so bunch of maths) I managed to get this entire set of plans into solid works. It's got a couple of issues yet, but I'm sure you folks will get a kick out of the end results. It's missing a few bits I can see, and all the nuts and bolts (as the CAD program doesn't require them) and i have on spacing issue...but I think it looks pretty good.

[ame="http://youtu.be/8l9SdpIA2SA"]http://youtu.be/8l9SdpIA2SA [/ame]

Back