Taps...and dies..

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlesfitton

Reaction score
I'm trying to make sense of the collection of clag known as the tap and die drawer....

What would these be used for?

1/4-32 NEF

1/8-44 NS

5/32-36 NS

thanks

f

I know that I have them for a reason - that's exactly the type of answer that I need.

That info will go on the card in the ziplock bag. (and I need not find a matching die..)

f

Giving some more thought

1/8-44 is very fine and can be useful for a carburetor needle, provided you find Tap and Die.

5/32-36 is also very fine. In general fine threads are useful for fittings when you have several parts threading concentrically and you do not want the diameter to grow too fast and still have some "meat" left between the inside thread and the outside thread.

No specific use come to mind, but that is the reason my Tap & Die collection grew out of hand.

You may want to add to the bag info card the drill bit to be used for 90%; 70% and 50% thread to speed up things.

1/8-44 should be the same as 5-44NF machine screw. My ancient 1/8-40 tap and a new 5-40 tap both pass the gage test and screw test. 5-44 taps and dies are available from the usual suspects.
Regards,
Bob

Latest posts

Back