tapered gibs for mini lathe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well as you all know i am having problems with the bibs on the sieg lathe.
Made replacement brass ones,shimmed,machined etc.All good for a while
then lose setting.Either too tight or loose and only way to adjust the front ones
is to strip the carriage down.After my last trial with an additional gib strip
Macgrippper had a short piece of advise.Make taper gibs.So here goes
I have read a couple of threads but until i got the mill it was not possible.Bit the bullet,made the decision.Thought i would show the way i have gone for the newbies like me who are not familiar.
Made the mild steel clamping plates from 20x12 m/s Milled the taper at nom 1.5o or 1 in 40 as standard.Brass gibs 8x6 were drilled and tapped M4 for 2 brass clamping screws.,And milled to each individual taper.One problem was
bowing so they had to be straightened etc.Made the adusting studs from M4
all thread leaving long.The brass gibs were also left long.Made 2 capstan nuts
to a good fit in the 3mm wide gib slots and then played trial and error to get the gibs to correct length and location.I was amazed at the difference
The M4 is .7 pitch therefor one full rev.of the capstan nuts raises the gib by
0.7 thou.I hadnt realized the fine adjustment achievable and without removing the carriage to adjust.I replaced the allthread with an M4 capscrew locked to the carriage with a locknut and another locknut for the capstan nut.Works beautiful.May need to polish/fine tune the gibs,but it should be easy now without stripping down the carriage.I have 20mm of adjustment but this is probably too much,although 1mm horiz = 1 thou height so i have 20 thou of wear etc.If nothing gets in the way in the near future then i will leave as is.IS THIS THE END OF MY PROBLEMS.Any comments from others whom have done this mod are welcome

Well as you all know i am having problems with the bibs on the sieg lathe.
Made replacement brass ones,shimmed,machined etc.All good for a while
then lose setting.Either too tight or loose and only way to adjust the front ones
is to strip the carriage down.After my last trial with an additional gib strip
Macgrippper had a short piece of advise.Make taper gibs.So here goes
I have read a couple of threads but until i got the mill it was not possible.Bit the bullet,made the decision.Thought i would show the way i have gone for the newbies like me who are not familiar.
Made the mild steel clamping plates from 20x12 m/s Milled the taper at nom 1.5o or 1 in 40 as standard.Brass gibs 8x6 were drilled and tapped M4 for 2 brass clamping screws.,And milled to each individual taper.One problem was
bowing so they had to be straightened etc.Made the adusting studs from M4
all thread leaving long.The brass gibs were also left long.Made 2 capstan nuts
to a good fit in the 3mm wide gib slots and then played trial and error to get the gibs to correct length and location.I was amazed at the difference
The M4 is .7 pitch therefor one full rev.of the capstan nuts raises the gib by
0.7 thou.I hadnt realized the fine adjustment achievable and without removing the carriage to adjust.I replaced the allthread with an M4 capscrew locked to the carriage with a locknut and another locknut for the capstan nut.Works beautiful.May need to polish/fine tune the gibs,but it should be easy now without stripping down the carriage.I have 20mm of adjustment but this is probably too much,although 1mm horiz = 1 thou height so i have 20 thou of wear etc.If nothing gets in the way in the near future then i will leave as is.IS THIS THE END OF MY PROBLEMS.Any comments from others whom have done this mod are welcome

going to be doing this to mine soon

Barry
Happy New Year to you and your family. Just wanted to ask
1. How is the mill going? I hope to get mine shortly now that Christmas is over and finances will pick up.
2. How are you finding the brass gibs on the lathe. Do they make a difference.

Love the new mods to your linisher.

Regards,
Barry.

Hi Oldboy,i sort of climbed the ladder of gib improvements.From changinging the original to brass on the bottom rung to tapered gibs and climbing off the top of the ladder.Its the best gib mod for the saddle but obviosly its not possible until you get a mill.All the reasons for paying a bit extra for the mill are paying off.
Must haves- Fixed column,R8 spindle,belt drive and larger table,anything less is a mistake

Back