New lathe next week.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmithDoor

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Last edited:
Sounds like a good plan.

There is much to be said for a lathe that is semi-portable, not so heavy/large.

I would not mind having a small lathe in my house, although I am not sure what the wife would say about that.

I have seen model engine builders with lathes inside their house, and I think with perhaps a chip shield, and a shop vac, it would work ok.

Good luck.

Post some photos when you get it set up.

Sounds like a good plan.

I would not mind having a small lathe in my house, although I am not sure what the wife would say about that.

I have seen model engine builders with lathes inside their house, and I think with perhaps a chip shield, and a shop vac, it would work ok.

Good luck.

I will post photos.
I am putting my Aloris tool pst on the lathe and tapper attachment off the south bend.
Order a 4 jaw and a milling slide. Converting the steady rest too .

Dave

I sold my good old south bend 9A and getting a new smaller lathe next week.
My old lathe was 700 pounds the lathe is 100 pounds.
My want to down size so if move we take new lathe with us. My wife want to come FedEx witch limit to under 150 pounds . The new lathe shipping weight is 130 pounds

Dave

https://www.walmart.com/ip/8x14-225...Motor-for-DIY-Wood-Metal-Work-More/5116832219
I hope it all goes well! Moving all my Sherline and Taig sized stuff sure was a lot easier and less nerve wracking than moving my full sized woodworking, SB and large mill/drill machines.

We're at what we hope will be the rest of our lives place now, but who knows? We're starting the aggressive get rid of stuff we don't need, want, or doesn't make us happy process. My mother kept EVERYTHING, cleaning out her house was a nightmare. We don't want to do that to our kids :)

I hope to have a good collection of stuff for the Cabin Fever consignment area this year, first chance goes to the CAMS guys (metal working club in our region), rest will go for whatever it's worth to someone. 1000 pounds of stuff here, a 1000 pounds there, pretty soon you're not running an overloaded trailer anymore!

I hope it all goes well! Moving all my Sherline and Taig sized stuff sure was a lot easier and less nerve wracking than moving my full sized woodworking, SB and large mill/drill machines.

We're at what we hope will be the rest of our lives place now, but who knows? We're starting the aggressive get rid of stuff we don't need, want, or doesn't make us happy process. My mother kept EVERYTHING, cleaning out her house was a nightmare. We don't want to do that to our kids :)

I hope to have a good collection of stuff for the Cabin Fever consignment area this year, first chance goes to the CAMS guys (metal working club in our region), rest will go for whatever it's worth to someone. 1000 pounds of stuff here, a 1000 pounds there, pretty soon you're not running an overloaded trailer anymore!
The new lathe is around 100 pounds. The old lathe was 700 pounds.

It is being delivered by FedEx It will a lot easier just hand cart and maybe a neighbor.
It going into a insulated build in backyard. It does does not get very cold and does need heat 🔥 but does have cooling for hot summer days.

Dave

We moved into town last year, from a farm with lots of buildings where we had been for almost 34 years. It has taken us over 3 years so far because of selling/donating/junking lots of stuff. It's hard to decide what I will use, what I think I will use, what I hope to use, what has sentimental or family or historical value, etc. I sold cars, engines, VW parts, wind mill towers, wind turbines, books, lumber, and more things than I can recall.
And I'm still sorting stuff in both places and trying to get organized at the town shop and garage.

We moved into town last year, from a farm with lots of buildings where we had been for almost 34 years. It has taken us over 3 years so far because of selling/donating/junking lots of stuff. It's hard to decide what I will use, what I think I will use, what I hope to use, what has sentimental or family or historical value, etc. I sold cars, engines, VW parts, wind mill towers, wind turbines, books, lumber, and more things than I can recall.
And I'm still sorting stuff in both places and trying to get organized at the town shop and garage.
For my materials I got 6 foot tall 4 foot wide wire shelf it has about 8 shelfs works great easy to find stock .
I have tooling cabinet with 6 shelfs for mill and lathe tooling too.

Dave

Here is a link for calculations for threading .
Filter on left side {A} inter spindle gear.

http://www.spokecalculator.net/other/cgc/
Screenshot_20231119-205752_Edge.jpg

Dave

The lathe came FedEx today and now out box in shop ready to use. I will have get use to a new lathe now.
Easy to install only need hand cart and put rubber feet on with chip tray.

Dave

Attachments

• 20231120_151922.jpg
    20231120_151922.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 35
  • 20231120_160933.jpg
    20231120_160933.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 39

Sounds like a good plan.

Good luck.

I post photos 📸 of new lathe the quote function fail.

Dave

I have run the lathe works great.

Today I received the steady rest and sometime this week I get the 4jaw back plate so 4 jaw too. I making a Face plate and follower rest for lathe.

Adding a DC power feed too.

I am putting my Aloris AXA tool post on the lathe.

Dave

Sounds like a good plan.

Good luck.

The lathe is up and running try again to put three quotes
Please read last post

Dave

When looking for a lathe today this same lathe under different names and prices
https://www.amazon.com/CREWORKS-Machine-Drilling-Benchtop-Accessories/dp/B09NNGR89Q
So look very carefully at ads for best price . Some find a lower cost on Ebay be careful because Ebay returns are different than Amazon and Walmart. Remember to read all ads for returns. Today returns are changing including Amazon and Walmart.

Dave

I bought one (similar) on Amazon (Canada) it was a serious pos never even took it out of box. Returned it took 6 weeks to get refund from Amazon
Bob

I bought one (similar) on Amazon (Canada) it was a serious pos never even took it out of box. Returned it took 6 weeks to get refund from Amazon
Bob
Sorry to hear

The lathe I received is in very good condition.
I know at Harbor Freight about 20 years ago a saw on look as you described on show room floor 🤣.

This one looks good need used to feel real good or lap slides like South Bend did on there lathes.
It is not a $40,000 lathe witch have purchased new in pass.
It exactly what research no surprise and paid under $600.00 and chase for tool $350.00.

Dave

Latest posts

Back