Taig. Dirty word?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barnesrickw

Reaction score
As anybody looked up what Taig means in the Urban Dictionary? I was looking up about the lathe and ran across it.

Yes, it has caused me trouble on one occasion; most of my clients are Irish...

I've noticed a site in the UK that has a very obviously re-badged Taig. Peatol I think. Taig being a good tool, but a bad word may explain this.

Not an uncommon problem for marketing departments especially when trying to break info markets in other counties.

Ford: a shallow place where one can walk across the river
Chevy:-To annoy continually or chronically aka Harrasment

I personally try to avoid the urban dictionary for definitions. More often than not there are so many slang uses of some word they are rendered meaningless.
the taig lathe is a well made but small machine.
I can see where the Taig would not sell well in Ireland.

And a rose by any other name is still a ROSE
Tin

Dodge: To abruptly move out of the way of something. Example, Ford or Chevy! :D

Cheers,
John.

I think Taig is more of an issue in Northern Ireland than in Ireland itself.

The most amusing example I have heard was the Mitsubishi Pajero. Wouldn't fly in Mexico and further south. Also the first time I saw a Honda Lead(a small scooter) I saw it as the metal rather than being in front.

If you want more fun in a similar vein, try Google's Translate.
Recently I was trying to get the Thai for "Nuts, Bolts and Washers" Nuts was reasonable, as was bolts but washers kept coming back as the person or machine that washes clothes. I went back to lots of hand-signals at the shop.
In general, though, translate.google offers many meanings from the single (English) word we use and which we don't even think about.
Geoff
www.purpletiger.com

That explains how chevied I was when asked to look for a ford while on a hike. I wanted to walk. That river was deeper than it looked by the way.

Back