Swifty's build of Rupnow engine.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi i am just catching up on some threads haven't been on in a while. This build is looking great, nice clean can't wait to see a video of it running. That Brian sure can design some engines. Bronson.

Hi bronson, now video might be a real challenge. Don't own a video camera, but one of my digital camera's has a video function, might have to give that a go, ipad has video but its not sharp enough.

Paul.

Those flywheels will be real beauties with a steel or aluminum center.--Brian

Hi Swifty,

Your parting skill is very good. Parting of such big diameter of hollow bronze bar sends shivers to my spine.Please advise tool rake and cutting speed etc.

Gus plan to cheat a wee bitty,buy cut disc from local suppliers .My Sakai Lathe is too small to handle this parting assignement.

Right now planning murderous tactics to build Brian's Hit & Miss Engine.

Heading home today after all the cheap and fresh seafood.

Everything going well so far Brian, your design has made it very easy. You never know, I might eventually make a changeover cylinder with water cooling, but I better not get too far ahead of myself as I have to get this one finished. Although I can't devote a lot of time to the build, I'm happy with the 2 weeks work that I have managed to get done.

Paul.

Hi Paul,

That is a plenty of work done in two weeks. 14 days x 8 hours!!!!

Will be hard for Gus to beat.

Hi Gus,
I wish I could devote 14 days x 8 hours to it, I can just slip in 1 to 2 hours here and there when I can. We had grandson stay with us 2 days this week and that takes up all our time keeping an eye on him, both my wife and I are exhausted by the time he goes home.
I haven't mentioned it here before, but every second day is mostly taken up with me being on dialysis, sure puts a dent in my shop time. Have started gear cutting this morning.

Paul.

Made a start on the spur gears this morning, turned the blanks, set up the dividing head and cut the first one already. I'm going to machine the cam after cutting the large gear.

Paul.

Hi Swifty,

Your parting skill is very good. Parting of such big diameter of hollow bronze bar sends shivers to my spine.Please advise tool rake and cutting speed etc.

Hi Gus, I actually used an inserted carbide tip parting tool, 4mm wide to part off the bronze. Cant recall the speed, but it probably was only around 70 - 100 RPM

Paul.

Finished cutting the smaller gear today, I have left a shoulder on the smaller gear, as I'm not sure yet how I will fasten it to the shaft. I didn't have a shoulder screw the right size to attach the larger gear, so I turned up a spigot that it will run on, held by an M5 screw.

Here is a picture of the two gears and spigot.

Next, I set up my rotary table to machine the cam on the large gear.

Here is the completed gear / cam.

And one more picture of the gears mounted on the engine.

Now I have to decide what to tackle next.

Paul.

Hi Gus,
I wish I could devote 14 days x 8 hours to it, I can just slip in 1 to 2 hours here and there when I can. We had grandson stay with us 2 days this week and that takes up all our time keeping an eye on him, both my wife and I are exhausted by the time he goes home.
I haven't mentioned it here before, but every second day is mostly taken up with me being on dialysis, sure puts a dent in my shop time. Have started gear cutting this morning.

Paul.

Hi Paul,
The gear looks good. Will save plenty of $$$$.

The aluminium pinion I cut for Webbie is still OK with no wear yet.
Been reading Ivan Law's book ------Gear and Gear Cutting. Cutting conical gear will be another challenge and not as straight forward as spur gears.But
wil give a good try.Lots more research and reading and trial cuts.
I have a sample cone gear from KG Gears,Japan. Will be monkey monkey do.

Take care.
P.S. Was raining cats and dogs last nite and not hopeful will be good fishing day. Hauled up a 5 pounder Cod Grouper and a few smaller Red Snappers. The "Fish Attracting Device'' aka FAD works.
Will be wreck fishing Aug 15.Another challenge to bring up monster Groupers
of 5-------50 pounder.

Looks good Paul
I'm anxious to go back on mine , what set up do you have on your rotary able?? a bolt on plate??

cheers

Hi Paul,
The aluminium pinion I cut for Webbie is still OK with no wear yet.
Been reading Ivan Law's book ------Gear and Gear Cutting. Cutting conical gear will be another challenge and not as straight forward as spur gears.But
wil give a good try.Lots more research and reading and trial cuts.
I have a sample cone gear from KG Gears,Japan. Will be monkey monkey do

Hi Gus, you may have trouble cutting mitre / bevel gears with your homemade indexer, you have to be able to index 1/4 of a tooth on each side of the main cut. You can see what I mean in my article about cutting mitre gears. I don't have any shop bought mitre gears to compare with, but they are made by a slightly different method. What we can cut is the nearest approximation that we can get, and it works well.

Paul.

Reactions: gus
Hi Luc, yes I use a bolt on plate on my rotary table. I previously had a 3 jaw chuck mounted on the plate, and just clamped the lot on my mill. I have since taken the chuck off the plate and mount the chuck on my rotary table when I need it.
I was needing a method to hold other parts on the rotary table, so decided to use the discarded plate.

I indicated the centre hole in the rotary table and mounted the plate on using 10mm spacers between the plate and table. As the plate already had a large hole in the centre, I then bored the hole out to a nominal size, in this case 27mm. I also added some 8mm tapped holes for clamps. When I need a spigot in the centre, I turn some aluminium down to 27mm to suit the hole, then turn on the required spigot. This method has worked out well as I can have any type of interchangeable spigot that I need.

When I need to have a screw in the centre of the spigot, I drill a clearance hole in the spigot and use a steel bar with a tapped hole, inserted in the gap between the plate and table.

This photo shows the gap between the plate and table.

Paul.

Hi Paul,
The both gears look good,Swiss Quality. Both gears are meshed with the usual clearance. :bow:
My Webbie gear mesh had a bigger gap than required.:hDe:
Today is my first day of work after a week's holiday. Ha Ha ha.;)

Paul,
Nice work on the gears, they look good. Having just acquired this skill I can appreciate what goes into making a good set.

Cheers,
Phil

Hi Gus, been thinking about you cutting the mitre gears on your indexer. If you wanted to cut 20 tooth gears, you could use an 80 tooth master spur gear, this will allow you to do a main cut every 4 teeth and then index 1 tooth either side to get your 1/4 of a turn. Probably a bit hard to grasp initially, but I think that it will work.

Paul.

Hi Gus, been thinking about you cutting the mitre gears on your indexer. If you wanted to cut 20 tooth gears, you could use an 80 tooth master spur gear, this will allow you to do a main cut every 4 teeth and then index 1 tooth either side to get your 1/4 of a turn. Probably a bit hard to grasp initially, but I think that it will work.

Paul.

Hi Paul,

I have a 80t gear to serve divider plate. Will start from here using Ivan Law's book.Meanwhile I have cold feet. Fear of the unknown.

I am still stuck with Webbie and she is teaching me how to fine tune her for the instantaneous/responsive Vroom Vroom.

Last edited:
Still making a few parts when I have the chance, I have made the valve inserts, rocker arm holder and exhaust pipe. I've been thinking about making the valves out of 2 pieces, will give it a try.

Paul.

Reactions: gus
Back