Swifty's build of Rupnow engine.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Graham, I think that the secret to shrink fits is to heat the item up in the oven, this provides a more even heat than using a torch.

Paul.

Reactions: gus
Thanks Luc and Brian. You have done such a great job designing it Brian, that I want to do it justice by doing my best on my build. Sorting out a bit of material tonight for some of the smaller items, will have to go and pick up the small 1/4" OD bearing when I get a chance, just checked router catalogue for part number.

Paul.

have to go and pick up the small 1/4" OD bearing when I get a chance, just checked router catalogue for part number.

Paul those bearing are from Blue Tornado bit. Here is a picture with the number. BTW I still found some cast chip in my underwear this morningRof}Rof}
cast dust is like plaster dust

bearing for mini motor.jpg

Paul ..

Engine really looks good ... thanks for posting.;)

Pat H

Hi Luc, those bearings are a standard item for a local router bit manufacturer nearby, will pick up one when I am in that area on Tuesday.

Paul.

Been doing a little work on the engine, started on the con rod. Mounted a plate on the mill and drilled holes where required, reamed the small end and bored out the big end for the bearing.

Using dowel pins and a parallel, I lined up the sides of the con rod at the angle required and milled the sides.

Next, I spent a bit of time making an adaptor plate for my rotary table so that I can mill the outside radius on each end.

And here we have a partly completed con rod, just have to finish milling the centre section to size, and reduce the thickness of the small end.

Also managed to machine the Push Rod Guide, here it is screwed onto the side.

Paul.

Swifty--Good stuff!!! It is really coming together for you. You must be almost ready to start the valves and cages.---Brian.

Hi Brian, doing the big pieces first allowed me to assemble something quickly. All the smaller pieces wil take a bit of time, but I'm looking forward to making them.

Paul.

Looking great Paul. I'm going to have to spend a fair amount of time with files and emery paper before I can post a picture of my conrod looking even a quarter that good.

Hi Paul,
This is a "must build engine" for Gus. Been following your thread daily. Just cannot imagine I can get very good WiFi connection here.

The beaches on the main island is great but water not pristine.
Went to the outlying islands, Same.
Great Thai food. and sea food the best.

Hi Gus, not a lot being done on the engine the last couple of days, although I did manage to finish the conrod this morning.
Hope you are enjoying your holiday in Thailand, never been there myself but I sure do like going to the local Thai restaurants.

Paul.

Paul--This is just a drop in to say Hi and offer up a word of encouragement. I am currently "breaking new ground" with my CDI ignition that I have purchased. ( I don't believe that my engine requires a CDI to run it, but I have always wanted to try one.) Cheers mate, keep up the good work. I will probably repeat this message to all the others who are building the Rupnow engine.---Brian

Managed to get a bit more work done, made the piston from some cast iron bar, dust seems to get into every pore in your skin. Also made a lap so I could lap the cylinder, it came out well. Once I had the piston finished I mounted it onto the con rod and lapped the piston into the cylinder, took about 10 minutes work and I ended up with a very good fit. The piston slides easily, but if I hold my hand over the end of the cylinder, the compression is excellent, even better when I put the "O" ring on.

Might look at cutting some gears next, I just about have all the larger components finished, so will start on the smaller ones now.

Here is the finished piston / rod assembly.

And here is the piston / con rod / cylinder assembled.

Paul.

G;day Swifty and all following the build. Been a while since I have been on and Paul has been telling me of his build. Pretty darn impressive Paul and look forward to watching your progress.
Got to watch Paul on the dials of my own lathe (helping sort me out), and let me tell you he is a pleasure to watch. Cheers again for all your help mate;). Got the last of the rods finished tonight, welder next and never know, I may see this shed up yet.

Eddie

It was a pleasure to help you out Eddie, got to get that shed up so you have a permanent home for your machines.

Paul.

Everything going well so far Brian, your design has made it very easy. You never know, I might eventually make a changeover cylinder with water cooling, but I better not get too far ahead of myself as I have to get this one finished. Although I can't devote a lot of time to the build, I'm happy with the 2 weeks work that I have managed to get done.

Paul.

Latest posts

Back