Swifty's build of Nemett Lynx

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's looking good Paul, I am watching with interest.

Are you taking the Rupnow engine to the Bendigo Show?

Jim

Bendigo Show? I didn't know that it was on, can you give me some details, I will also try to google it. I could make a day trip or even stay overnight, wouldn't bring up anything to show, but I would be keen to see what's around. I don't usually buy any modeller magazines as I find that they concentrate on trains a lot.

Paul.

Looking good. Looks like we have a deal. Paul is working from botttoms up and Gus from top down. Looks like the Nemett-Lynx is well covered. Should finish the Outer-head today and trying very hard not to rush.
Take care.

I mentioned that I plan to reuse a mandrel by shrinking on some sleeves to allow for a larger bore. Here is a photo showing the mandrel with the sleeves on tight.

And here we have the remachined mandrel ready to accept the cast iron liner.

It was easy going after that to machine the outside of the liner concentric to the inside.

Just had to trim to length and chamfer one end. Another use for my ER20 collet holder. The shank is 20mm dia and I have made a block to hold it in the toolpost, it's ideal for holding small boring bars etc.

And here is the finished liner.

Next step was to part off the aluminium bar to the rough lengths needed for the cylinder outer, the cylinder head and the crankcase front. It was sticking out a bit too far, so I centered the end, used a revolving centre in the tailstock for support, then parted to leave a 12mm spigot in the centre.

Next step was to use a 13mm dia drill to put a hole in the centre, when I reach the parting, the piece just's hangs on the drill. No danger of it being flung around. The last piece will be used for the head, so no hole in this one.

I will also be using the mandrel at a later date to machine the crankcase front.

Paul.

Reactions: gus
Bendigo Show? I didn't know that it was on, can you give me some details, I will also try to google it. I could make a day trip or even stay overnight, wouldn't bring up anything to show, but I would be keen to see what's around. I don't usually buy any modeller magazines as I find that they concentrate on trains a lot.

Paul.

Please copy me on the Bendigo Show dates. If I can get a cheapy flight to Melbourne and take the train to Bendigo. Heard about this show and its all Steam Engines etc etc. There is a very good restaurant serving Kilpatrick Oysters and Rack Of Lamb. Can't recall the name.

I haven't be able to find out anything about this years show, only previous years. Will keep you informed.

Paul.

Thanks for the link Jason, I did come across it, but it wouldn't open on my iPad. Next time I'm on my desktop I will check it out.

Paul.

Hi Swifty I noticed that you are using metric plans, could you let me know where I can purchase them. Thanks Matt

Hi Matt, the plans were issued in "The Best Of Model Engineer, volume 3". I purchased mine on line, but they are still in newsagents at the moment. I see that you are in NSW, you should be able to get one. I scanned the drawings and printed them out on A3 sheets, that way I can write on the drawings without damaging the magazine, also easer to read as well.

Paul.

Next part to work on was the cylinder jacket. I bored out the centre hole and gave it a minutes work with the hone, and this gave me a nice tap fit for the liner. Everything was then mounted on my mandrel and the OD and length was finished.

Next, I necked down the bottom end that attaches top the crankcase.

Now I have to come clean, this is my second attempt at this part. I started to do the fins using a power hacksaw blade as a parting tool. The blade was 1.6mm thick, I ground relief on each side and ground the height to centreline. Now the trouble started, the first cut didn't look too bad, the next one took off at an angle and ruined everything. I will grind a 3/8"toolbit tonight to the correct size for my next attempt. At least I have the first one to try it out on. The only positive thing to come out of it was that it only took me an hour to get back ready to put the fins on.

Paul.

2014 Model Engineering Exhibition

4 - 5 October
12th Melbourne Model Engineering Exhibition
Engineering Hall, Monash University, Wellington Road, Clayton.

Saturday 4 October 9.00am - 5.00pm
Sunday 5 October 9.00am - 4.00pm

The 12th biennial exhibition by local clubs with exhibits featuring model steam and IC engines, hot air engines, trains, clocks, machine tools, boats and planes. Also trade stalls selling model engineering supplies and materials. One of the largest, if not the largest, model engineering exhibitions in Australia.

Organised by the Melbourne Society of Model & Experimental Engineers (Inc) More details at www.msmee.org.au or phone (after hours) 03 9528 4878

Thanks for that Ruzzie, I hope that it's OK with you, I posted this information under shows and events. I did mention that it was you who brought it to my notice.

Paul.

I've already put in I'm my diary Jim, as you said, it would be great to catch up with any members going.

Paul.

Cutting the fin grooves went better this time. I included a photo of a trial assembly, the tapered nose piece is still only roughed out on the taper at this stage. I will finish it tomorrow sometime, although we will have our grandson over for the day, so maybe during his nap time.

Paul.

Reactions: gus
Looking good. You have four parts done and Gus only three. Hopefully by Tuesday,I get the crankcase done.

(Fishing today outside Port Limits of Singapore was bad.Rough seas and ships anchored on top of my best spots. But we had good dinner. No fish.)

Hi Paul, I have had no luck buying the mag, where online did you purchase yours.

Thanks Matt

Latest posts

Back