Swifty's build of Nemett Lynx

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gus, I have some 0.40mm drills somewhere, left overs from when I was working. Would not even try to use them now.

Paul.

Last edited:
Gus, I have some 0.40mm drills somewhere, left overs from when I was working. Would not even try to use them now.

Paul.

Hi Paul,

Need your expert advice. Drills below 3 mm are difficult to regrind. Just thinking how many times cane we re-use the 0.8 drill and risk messing a job piece. May buy some more mini drills from TokyuHands. Celebrating our
33rd Wedding Anniversary.

Hi Gus, I usually buy small drills in packs of 10. Once upon a time I would regrind drills as small as 1.5mm dia, but that was when my eyesight was great and I would dress a wheel on the small surface grinder and sharpen it there.

Paul.

SOS SOS SOS

Hi Paul,
The electronic ignition must be earthed. Please advise where is the earth. Battery positive or negative. By latest this Friday will spin engine. Plywood box for Rcexl done. Trying to make fool-proof connection to avoid frying the expensive Rcexl. And also following your practice use same for other engines too. Crimping the battery mini connectors is something new to me. A special S$30 Crimping Plier is a must to do a good crimping.Am glad I have this plier. The cable lugs are so mini. My ''71'' eyes can just see it.

IMG_1566.jpg

IMG_1567.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Gus, I had the same concern as you have about the earth, there is no additional wire needed as the earthing is taken care of by the steel spark plug cap and steel shrouded high tension cable. Did you get the 2 small springs for inside the cap, I've already lost one so am now very careful with the second.

Paul.

Reactions: gus
The ignition I used on my Rupnow engine was either a clone or rebadged Rcexl and used the same earthing system as Paul says. What I did though was cut the cap off the end and change to a different connector, then strip most of the outer steel shroud off the high tension lead, back to where you couldn't see it anymore under the base. Then I attached a wire from what was left of the steel shroud to the bottom of the engine for earthing. It worked just fine, the only reason I did it was the plug cap didn't match my sparkplug and the thick cable looked way out of scale on my engine.

8NusHQ.jpg

Hi Paul And Cogsy.

Thanks for the info. I have two sets for both 1/4'' and 10 mm plugs with the spark cap. I saw the spring clips.
Plywood Box to hold the RCELX is about ready and now putting on a last coat of Lacquer for protection from my grimy hands. The top cover will be hinged. Still shooting for startup this Friday 12th.;)

SOS SOS SOS

Hi Paul,
The electronic ignition must be earthed. ............t.

Don't panic; the reason you need the system earthed is you'll fry the CDI if you try to make sparks without a plug connected. The screen on the plug lead will be adequate to make the circuit, however, as belt and braces either clamp the outer screen to the engine with a metal P clip or solder a flying lead to the screen, put a tag on the other end and clamp it under one of the mounting screws.

How is the compression looking? from Brian's experience with O rings vs CI rings and me spending a week or so getting mine to run, compression is the key.

Pete

Don't panic; the reason you need the system earthed is you'll fry the CDI if you try to make sparks without a plug connected. The screen on the plug lead will be adequate to make the circuit, however, as belt and braces either clamp the outer screen to the engine with a metal P clip or solder a flying lead to the screen, put a tag on the other end and clamp it under one of the mounting screws.

How is the compression looking? from Brian's experience with O rings vs CI rings and me spending a week or so getting mine to run, compression is the key.
Will soldier earth wire to cable screen.

Pete

Compression looks OK. Will decide using temperary base or permanent to spin engine. May may a spark plug test jig with earth to just to look at the sparks.

Gus down with mild flu but terrible sore throat. The M.I.C. sore throat powder works. Overnite the sore throat should go away. Will prep for engine startup.
Chest for RCELX done and fixed. Been fun.
Good news. I found the spark plug spring clips.

IMG_1570.jpg

IMG_1574.jpg

Last edited:
Gus, I hope that you get over that touch of flu quickly, I'm getting anxious to see your Lynx running.

Paul.

Hi Paul,

Thanks.
Gus now a lame duck and too lethargic to work in the machineshop. No more ice cold drinks on a very hot day. Sore throat gone with the M.I.C. Throat Spray but slight cough fixed by some Thailand Lozenges and it works.

New Engine---R&B Engine from Model Engineer MAg no.4489 22 Aug -----4 Sept Issue.
Very challenging engine for Paul and Gus and others but I am about to give up-------Castings. But I am thinking of using aluminium bar stocks to fabricate the base and frame. The crankshaft machining featured in this issue scares me but the step by step made it possible. Will wait for the next few issues to decide.The engine is not H&M. The oil wells look very unique. Was topping these during my engineering trainee days at Metal Box,Singapore on the can body maker which slams out 400 tin cans per minute and after three years Gus's left ear is half deaf.:rant:

IMG_1575.jpg

Last edited:
Thats quite a big engine Gus - 12" flywheels so you may not be able to get it all on your machines they are a two man lift. Also quite an effort to turn over, you will need something like my SDS+ drill seen here on a friends engine, no cordless drills on these!!

IMG_3383.jpg

They are also known to be difficult to get running, maybe something smaller like a Wyvern or Centaur if you want a throttle governed engine.

J

Hi Jason.

Thanks for the kind advice. I had no idea it was that big.
I give up. 12'' flywheels. My balcony machineshop will collapse. OK other engines. I still have the ''Bolero'' and the '' Firefly'' to dig out from the dust and finish same now that I have picked up the necessary skills on honing and the fuel jet needle. After the Nemett-Lynx will be DIY a long list toolings.
Over the last three years HMEM members have taught me many skills.

Back