Suggestions for a first IC engine?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mnbylcr2

Reaction score
Hi, I`m looking at starting a new engine in the new year and so I`ve been trawling the internet for the last couple of weeks. As with steam engines, I had no real understanding of how they worked until I`d built one, the the others were then much easier. I`ve done my best at reading plans for various Hit and Miss engines and I get the general principle but not 100% clear and for that reason I`m after something that has a few build logs and lots of information regarding its build.

I`ve considered buying a kit from Hemingways but I think I`d quite like to build something totally from barstock and ideally free/cheaper plans. That being said, I`m not totally disregarding one of these kits yet: http://www.hemingwaykits.com/acatalog/Internal_Combustions___The_Engines.html

I have seen Brians build of David Kerzel's IC engine and this looks terrific and has tones of information available both on Brians thread and also from David Kerzels website. I`m just worried this engine is a little over complex for my first build - or maybe not?

I guess what I`m asking is is there a simpler build for a first time IC engine? Or do I take the plunge and just go straight into something that I would really love to build like Kerzel's engine?

What did you build for your first IC engine and any advice or suggestions would be appreciated?

Chris

I guessed this has been asked before a did try a search but I just ended up with reams of links to Brian's thread?!

Like you say Chris there is alot of info now about the Kerzel, so this would be ok to start with. Theres also the webster with free plans available and a few others. It all depends on what size engine you want to make, they are all pretty straight forward and all work virtually the same way with similar parts. My first IC engine was the Gardner and I thought I would never manage it, but if you take it one part at a time they soon come together.

Cheers,
MartinH

My first IC engine was the Peewee V4. I was in the same boat as you trying to decide what to do. I decided to do the engine I would most like to have.

Unless you are stuck on the single cylinder horizontals, Margaret Shores still has castings available for both the Hurcules and Silver Bullet, 2 cylinder engines. There are other single cylinder engine plans on that site as well.

http://www.bobshores.com/bullethercules.html

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-JRQGPswVA[/ame]

check out the jerry howell powerhouse. you can get plans from his son on the jerry howell site. they are very good plans and a good one to start with. jonesie

The Webster is a bar stock engine, from free plans, reasonably uncomplicated, and it has a couple of really good build logs on this site.

First engine? Check out a Duclose designed hit'n miss one. Home Shop Machinist published some of his designs a few years back. The book Two Shop Masters has the plans too. The maverick is pretty simple and doesn't need gears. There's also one called the gearless that's pretty doable. They're worth a look.

Chris, If your looking for a good basic I.C. engine to get a start, than I would recommend the Webster as a first build. If your an experienced/seasoned machinist you'll get it done in no time at all. If your a novice/hobby machinist, the project shouldn't be overwhelming. Building a basic model will help you learn the skills needed to build I.C. engines, and then they can be carried over to more complex builds in the future.

http://home.comcast.net/~webster_engines/

-MB

OK, thank you very much for your replies. Sorry I`ve not replied earlier but I have continued reading on your suggestions. I think I will go for the Webster engine. I feel it looks a reasonably simple build (I say that despite me not exactly having total clarity of the function of some components still!)

I do appreciate all your comments and have spent time looking at each recommendation in turn but it certainly seem like there is a good deal of info on the Webster and enough people familiar with the engine who could help me if I get stuck!

I`ll start getting materials together and stufying the plans and hopefully will begin building this early in the new year.

Thanks again, hope you all had a great Christmas.

May I hijack the thread and ask if anyone has built the Webster in a scaled down version. I have very small machines, and I am not sure I can do the 1:1.

I could do a 2/3 size... Any thoughts?

Hi,

I am alos a beginer and my first engine was the Lynx NE15 designed by Malcolm Stride. As the introduction said its not a very difficult engine to built still a very satisfactory result. It has very simple components to machien done with very simple basic tools.
Tough unfortunatley because Malcolm Stride passed away I dont think you can purchase the plans any more. Also Malcolm was designing the new bobcat with twin cylinders and i was very looking foward to purchase the plans.
If anyone knows about any plans of Malcolm Stride please let me know.

Thanks
Drei

Drei - it is interesting, I saw this engine a few weeks back, I managed to find it from one of your older posts here on hmem. I really like the look of the NE15 engine, it looks great and the write up seems to set it as being well geared to the "first IC engine"!

I also found out that Macolm Stride had sadly past away and I couldn`t find plans for it anywhere so I kind of gave up on the idea but if anyone knows where I could get a set of plans for this engine please let me know.

stevehuckss396 said:
My first IC engine was the Peewee V4. I was in the same boat as you trying to decide what to do. I decided to do the engine I would most like to have.

Unless you are stuck on the single cylinder horizontals, Margaret Shores still has castings available for both the Hurcules and Silver Bullet, 2 cylinder engines. There are other single cylinder engine plans on that site as well.

http://www.bobshores.com/bullethercules.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-JRQGPswVA

Steve, Respectfully, I wouldn't tackle the Silver Bullet for my first engine. I am still working on mine after many years, in the home stretch, but too difficult for beginners like me.
My first was the Upshure single, which I finished, with mistakes. Forunately, Dick Upshure took it home, fixed it up, and of course it ran nice;y. Wasn't I lucky to have known him. That would be a better first for people who don't have your skills, yet.

mnbylcr2 said:
Drei - it is interesting, I saw this engine a few weeks back, I managed to find it from one of your older posts here on hmem. I really like the look of the NE15 engine, it looks great and the write up seems to set it as being well geared to the "first IC engine"!

I also found out that Macolm Stride had sadly past away and I couldn`t find plans for it anywhere so I kind of gave up on the idea but if anyone knows where I could get a set of plans for this engine please let me know.

I think that the plans might be had on the internet. Is this the engine your referring to?

http://www.modelenginenews.org/cardfile/images/ne15s1.jpg

http://www.modelenginenews.org/images/gp4/stride_mice.jpg

This is not a good beginner engine in my opinion, as a beginner. But I'm sure their are beginners that could tackle this project and prove me wrong.

-MB

MetalButcher - that is the one! I didn`t think the plans were in the book as I believe he sold them separately.

Chris

mnbylcr2 said:

Hi,
i dont know from where but right now i am building the engine with the same specs. the difference is that i converted it from ohcs to ohv. You can imagine the changes for exmaple new rocker arms, pushrods, crankcase cam followers etc. To be able to machien it i made a new set of plans of the new parts.
If you are willing to make it i will make the whole plans even those taht arent changed and maybe sell them to you. i thimck thatit wouldnt be nothing wrong like that. I am not doing this for money, i was planning to publish or give the prints to those who are intrested.
If you need any information just let me know and thanks for thhe compliments :)

Drei

Latest posts

Back