Stupid Me. Killed my 2" DI...

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twmaster

Reaction score
I just knew better. I knew it...

I don't have a bandsaw. I have been placing the material to be cut on a work table with C-Clamps holding it to the table then cutting with a Sawzall. Well the vibrations had everything on the table dancing.

I heard it. *CLONK*BANG*!!

My magnetic stand and 2" travel DI worked their way to the edge and dove off....

The DI (A cheap one) got killed. Kaput. Da' end.

Stupid. I knew better.

:wall: well it sounds like u need to put an 2" edge on that table.
u do have a dead bin right where all the dead things go for future resurrections ;D

we all do those things that we arnt suposed to do but we do them anyway. i think it has something to do with
lets getter done

sorry to here of the untimely dead of the tool please give my condolences :bow:

The other day I was tramming up my mill.
I had the coloum and the head on my bench and was trying to refit the head onto the column when I bumped my magnetic stand with DTI on it off.

I'm still not sure how but I managed to hold the head with on hand and caught the magnetic stand with my other hand before it hit the floor.
I guess I was just darn lucky.
But to make up for it I did another Boo Boo yesterday that I will post soon.

A buddy of mine was working with a big steady rest on the 18" Axleson lathe at work. He had the steady open doing something and had a indicator sitting on the flat spot where the two half's meet. He shut it without looking and smashed his indicator flatter than a chickens A$$. Good times there ;D

Believe me. Your not the first one to ever kill an indicator.

TW you need to learn to listen to that little voice that tries to protect you and your stuff!!
But i have seen similar stuff .One day at the shop i used to work in a guy borrowed a last word indicator to locate a part in the mill . Then he turned on the spindle before removing the indicator. the indicator IIRC bounced off the concrete wall before hitting the concrete floor. the company ordered a new one as a replacement . part of doing business.
Tin

TW...that's called Divine Compensation. ;D
It bites me ALL the time.

Sorry to hear of any loss.

Walking up to the old horizontal bandsaw at work... hands full of calipers, stock, and drawings. Someone had left a length of stock in the saw, just chopped off a piece and walked away. So, grumpy as ever, I set everything down, walked around the saw, and flipped it up to yank out the stock.

Slip, smash, and a little fountain of caliper parts from the far end of the saw, were pretty good indications that I'd set everything in a very bad place. :-\

Anyway, I feel your pain.

You are not the first there Mike.

I remember doing a job at work with a critical depth on a vertical
boring mill that had a 32 inch travel ram. To be positive of the stop
depth, I had placed a mag base mounted indicator on the ram.
The mag base and indicator were both carried Miutoyo labels.
After that job was done I forgot about the indicator and base on the ram.
Preparing for the next job, I hit the rapid transverse down button on the
ram to change the tool holder head on the ram. As soon as I heard the
noise 20 feet above my head I realized that my Miutoyo indicator and base
was still up there. It was kind of like watching a train wreck in slow motion.
$200 worth of tooling smashing into the concrete floor.

And I said to myself, "Heavens to Betsey, I wish I hadn't done that."
OK, maybe that isn't exactly what I said..... :-[

Rick

I'm just glad it was a cheap Chinese DI and not something I really care about like my Standard or Last Word....

I see the 2" Chingville DIs on FeeBay all the time....

10:1 you can fix it in less then 10 mins. if the stem didn't get bent.

When it hit the floor the plate inside more then likely shifted and the pinion is pushed up too hard against the rack portion of the stem. Basically, depending on the model, you need to loosen three or four screws that hold the plate to the case. Usually that's all it takes and the stem will move freely. Some you can do with just the back cover off; some you have to get the bezel off and do it from the front. Just make sure to re tighten the screws.

Bob

Not that easy. Although I appreciate your tip. This one got the tube that holds the plunger bent like a banana and it broke the crystal. :(

Knocked my brand new roatary table off the shelf in the summer while having a clean up .

Gutted ,you are not alone

Too bad for that DI, Mike. This stuff really does happen to many of us, though, if that helps.

I have nice test indicators, and dial calipers, which always get put right back into their fuzzy boxes as soon as I un-hand them. Dial indicators seem to get the brunt of things, though. That's one of the reasons I keep a few of the $10 kind around.

To commiserate, I have a DI mount on the carriage stop rod of my Taig lathe. It pivots a little so I can move it around. One day, after cutting something small in the three jaw, I put a much bigger piece in the chuck, spun it by hand to see that nothing was going to rub or bump, then adjusted the DI to meet the carriage. Don't know why I did that step last this one time.. Hit the power switch for the lathe and bam, bam, bam, sproing. The chuck jaws just beat the puddin' out of that DI before I could turn it off. 'Nuther $10 in the trash can.

There you go. More true confessions.

Dean

Latest posts

Back