Stuart No 3 Compound

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A James Kellerman

Reaction score
I am a brand nw member and looking for some guidance on the machining of the Stuart No3 compound engine. I have just about completed the crankshaft as my initial attack on the project. The machining of the cylinders and slide valves looks challenging. Any one out there with advice?

Very interesting project. Talk it through here piece by piece if you like. What kit do you have? Start at the bottom and work up?
Very interesting project. Talk it through here piece by piece if you like. What kit do you have? Start at the bottom and work up?
Dear Charles,

I bought the engine from Stuart Models with the view that I would take a long time to complete and it would be done in small increments. I'm not hugely experienced but have tackled the Stuart Score twin cylinder horizontal engine. Not bad for a first effort and I learned one primary fact: Small is difficult. It is basically two no 10 engines mounted horizontally. I am also in the process of building the No 9 horizontal mill engine. That is a reasonable size. I have rebuilt a No5 which will soon be running.

The No 3 was inspired by a trip in a steam launch down the River Stort last summer. Magic. When the kit arrived I checked the parts against the list and could not place one part. It was a 3" x 13" bar of mild steel. Then I realised it was the crankshaft! My heart sank but I put it in the chuck and started. About 30 hours later I had bins full of turnings and a good looking crank shaft.

I am looking at the head castings with trepidation as I think I will need to call on superior knowledge and bigger machines than I have hence I though this forum was a good one to join.

James

Latest posts

Back