Stirling engine (horizontal)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Per018

Reaction score
Hello!

Im new here, and I found this forum searching for plans for simple Stirling engine (horizontal, two cylinders). I need those plans to use them at school, because we have to make one (this type particular). Im very interested in plans made in PRO Engineer WF 4 or 3. But plans in .jpg or something like that would do it just fine. The point is that I want to have all the measures. I really hope that someone can get me those, because I have looked many sites with no appropriate results. Im pleading for any respond to my request. Thank you very much! P.S. sorry for my bad English but its not my primary language :-\

Thank you for your help... I have just few questions. Is this http://www.john-tom.com/StirlingPlans/KoichiHiataStirling.pdf engine horizontal or vertical when working? and about the measures, are they in inches or mm? It may be stupid to ask but I dont know if English write inches besides the measures. Would be this engine relatively easy to make? Because I dont want to start with something complicated you se.... THX for your answers!

Per

First, welcome! I looked at the link you posted, that would seem be a vertical engine. The measurements are metric.

Good luck with your engine, don't forget to post photos of your progress once you have started to build one ;D

Cheers, Joe

Yeah that's the same engine I built, originally from the site I linked.
It's drawn as a vertical, but I built mine as a horizontal.

I couldn't get the glass syringes called for in the plan, so I made the piston and cylinder liners out of tool steel, and increased the bore from 8mm to 13mm. It's been a great little runner, even if a bit ugly.

Here's a few pictures of it.
http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=5329.0

why you increased the bore? You had to because it wouldnt work? I intend to do it out of steel and aluminium...

And I forgot to ask you... where did you planed this engine? Pro Engineer, solidworks, or you just did it by the printed plan??

I'm sure it would have worked at 8mm bore. I increased it to 13mm... just because I could. ;D

I don't have my modified drawings, they were all paper-and-pencil changes to the LSE-01 plans, and I built that engine 12 years ago.

Well we started this project in our school. Im in Technician school final grade, and our goal is to build a stiring :)
Each must make his own engine and a plan at end of the year (December) we will get grades for our work. Whole class decided that we will use Thermoplast for material of our pistons. That material is resistant to temperatue and extremly lihgt compared to any metal. What do you guys think of this idea? And I must say, that our professor came up with the idea...
I have one new queston too. I dont know why are parts 14 and part 5 needed for and how to make them... I must repeat that Im not very good in English so please explain it easily ;D

Per018 said:
I have one new queston too. I dont know why are parts 14 and part 5 needed for and how to make them...

Part 5 is an aluminum plug glued into the open end of the pistons, because Hirata's pland call for pistons made from glass syringes.
Part 14 is a pivot pin, a place for the connecting rod to hinge, as the other end swings on the crankshaft.

I followed his plans on my engine, even though I made the pistons and cylinder liners from tool steel. You can see both parts in this photo:
Stirling017.jpg

Another site to look at is jan ridders. Really easy to build and works very well.All plans are also free

Latest posts

Back