Spindle Crank, (for Threading)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also made a crank like that for my 11" Rockwell lathe, but I use it mostly for spring winding. I feed the spring wire through two strips of wood clamped in position as if they were a lathe tool. That lets me set the tension on the wire, then I crank the spring by hand.

Instead of a permanent handle I made the end of my arbor with a square shank to fit the knee crank on my Clausing mill. I made the collett end exactly like Dean

Just a couple of thoughts...
(and also related to Matt's question about limit switches)...

I'm a software engineer...I don't trust software and I don't trust the hardware it runs on. Too often I've been sitting in the lab and have seen a piece of equipment suddenly take off. Maybe it's static electricity, maybe it's a software bug, maybe it's a failed piece of hardware, maybe it's a cosmic ray that flips a bit...but...

I believe in Murphy. Done.

I kick myself every time I grab the spindle to change a bit, or to loosen/tighten a chuck, and I haven't shut off the emergency switch. And even then, I ask myself..."Can it still turn on? Should I unplug it?".

Remember...many of those little nicks on your hands are "Wow...that was close!"

Zee I seen your post, and noted. thanks.

little nicks..........I shouldn't need reminding, but I do. thanks.

Matt

Yesterday I was doing a counterbore using the mill on my 3 in 1.

When milling, I lock the carriage by engaging the gears between it and the lathe spindle.

I reached over to turn on the mill, without looking, and accidentally turned on the lathe.

:hDe:

Lucky for me, the lathes speed was very low and I was able to turn it off before my endmill broke.

It is so easy to become careless.

:wall:

I need to be more cautious and pay attention to what I am doing.

*club*

SAM

Latest posts

Back