Spin on a webster

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oneKone

Reaction score
Hi,

I plan on making something like a webster ic. About 3 days ago I flicked through a thread created by chuck fellows, it was a plumbers engine.

My questions are:

Would there be some way I could use a 316ss cylinder and a piston with no piston rings?

If I had to use piston rings would viton be a good choice?

I was thinking a 316 cylinder and a aluminium piston with 2 viton orings.
I don't have access to cast iron but 316, 4140, mild steel, 6061 aluminium are readily available.

Cheers,
Chris

well iv started machining it! patience was never a big thing with me!

iv decided to use the same method as the tiny ic; 316 cylinder, 6061 piston and one viton oring with one small oil groove.

today i machined the cylinder. the taper on it is 0.005-0.008 mm so i think its parallel enough! to complete it i think i still have to machine a slot for the manifold. 1 thing im going to ad is a aluminium block and "thread" a course thread with a radius tool for copper tubing. so i can water cool it.

pictures!!

IMG_0904.JPG

IMG_0905.JPG

IMG_0906.JPG

tomorrow ill aim for the cylinder head, im machining the parts after work for 1 hour a day so production will be slow!

during this thread im going to make a furnace so i can cast up a flywheel at home. hopefully this motor will be going into a rc boat but i have to figure out how to make them...... they should be like rc planes? right...

so today i started on the head. i still have to drill the port and figure out how im going to keep it there! as im only using the drawings for some sizes all the vitals on securing it have gone out the window! its a very light press fit onto the cylinder but it will work (i hope) some loctite 680 and a few grub screws should do the trick.

IMG_0909.JPG

IMG_0910.JPG

im planning on casting the conrod because i want something that contrasts between cast and machined

Nice work there Chris. Keep us posted.

Is this your first engine?

Cheers,
Phil

This is my second ic motor, the first was a tiny ic designed by putputman. I changed it slightly by adding a crankcase air cooled cylinder and a intake cam.

Latest posts

Back