South Bend 8K photos

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just received a earlier then expected call- back to work. My ten hour days/58 hour weeks should end sometime in December.

I'm afraid hobby time is going to be hard to come by for na while.

Thanks for the help here and I'll keep following along from time to time.

PS...I haven't even gotten that blasted lathe home yet.....ARRRGGGHHH!

I talked to tech support this morning and my spindle should ship out today.
Good news Gambit.
Bad news Herr.
Unemployment sent me a letter saying I don't have to go to the workshops but still had to look for work. I e-mailed them today and said my service van's in the driveway, they just sent me to Generac school #3 a month ago (expensive) and told me I'd be coming back in six weeks two weeks ago and they want me to look for work? We'll see where this goes.

I talked to tech support this morning and my spindle should ship out today.
Good news Gambit.
Bad news Herr.
Unemployment sent me a letter saying I don't have to go to the workshops but still had to look for work. I e-mailed them today and said my service van's in the driveway, they just sent me to Generac school #3 a month ago (expensive) and told me I'd be coming back in six weeks two weeks ago and they want me to look for work? We'll see where this goes.

That is good news. You should see it then sometime this week.

Unemployment here will usually leave you alone if you are attending school or taking a course. They still say that you should look for work while not attending though. If you apply for jobs and put down that you won't be available in 4 weeks, nobody will hire you anyway so more time in the shop and you are following the rules.

That is good news. You should see it then sometime this week.

Unemployment here will usually leave you alone if you are attending school or taking a course. They still say that you should look for work while not attending though. If you apply for jobs and put down that you won't be available in 4 weeks, nobody will hire you anyway so more time in the shop and you are following the rules.

I made one call today to the and found a job but I don't start until the first of may, at my old job. Handy, I already have a van full of tools and parts right in my driveway!
I talked to my service manager and things are picking up again, I knew they would as soon as we got a warm day it wakes people up. Of course its snowing outside so they'll probably go back to sleep.

I received the quote "New spindle" today from Grizzly and the journals look pretty good for a used spindle. What worries me is the condition of the camlock taper, the rest of the wear I can polish out or live with, but if the chuck won't seat right I won't install it. I was promised a new spindle out of a new machine and once again Grizzly didn't stand by their word. Funny thing a new spindle sander for wood showed up with it but that will be the last purchase for me from Grizzly, except spare parts of course if available and new.

I received the quote "New spindle" today from Grizzly and the journals look pretty good for a used spindle. What worries me is the condition of the camlock taper, the rest of the wear I can polish out or live with, but if the chuck won't seat right I won't install it. I was promised a new spindle out of a new machine and once again Grizzly didn't stand by their word. Funny thing a new spindle sander for wood showed up with it but that will be the last purchase for me from Grizzly, except spare parts of course if available and new.

So did the chuck seat good? If so, is the spindle in yet? Pictures?

I was a bit hot in my last post so I think it best I don't speak about it for awhile.
Best regards
Mikbul

Hope things get straightened out spindle wise. My unit finally arrives home this afternoon.

So Mike, any second thoughts about taking the lead, internet-wise, on this lathe?

I am very happy to see the word Germany and P5 on my bearings! There are 70 left on the Locate ball bearing site.

I went on a deployment to Germany, we had no clue where we were going. As we pull into this town, all I see is this huge huge company with the name FAG in big neon lights. I had no clue what the building was, they said that that building and a church were a few things that survived the "bombing" during the war.. Schweinfurt, Germany... it was a nice place...

Hope things get straightened out spindle wise. My unit finally arrives home this afternoon.

So Mike, any second thoughts about taking the lead, internet-wise, on this lathe?

No, no second thoughts. I'll have a solution this week. It's a great lathe, just an unfortunate warranty situation.

I went on a deployment to Germany, we had no clue where we were going. As we pull into this town, all I see is this huge huge company with the name FAG in big neon lights. I had no clue what the building was, they said that that building and a church were a few things that survived the "bombing" during the war.. Schweinfurt, Germany... it was a nice place...

I and my 8K are fortunate that our aim was off! I'm sure being a ball bearing manufacturer that's what we were aiming at. Nothing rolls without ball bearings.

Hey Mike,

Your thread made it in the HMEM "DIY Tool Maker's Chest". I have never seen it before. I wonder if this is some new newsletter they are starting or has anybody else seen this before? Your famous now Mike......LOL!

Hey Mike,

Your thread made it in the HMEM "DIY Tool Maker's Chest". I have never seen it before. I wonder if this is some new newsletter they are starting or has anybody else seen this before? Your famous now Mike......LOL!

I am thinking that it is just their newsletter and the title seems to be from the first thread on the list. My bad. Your still famous!

I am thinking that it is just their newsletter and the title seems to be from the first thread on the list. My bad. Your still famous!

Infamous is more like it!
I got a call from tech support today from the man with the desk that everything makes it's last stop. He's ordering another new spindle from the factory and will check it over on it's arrival. I'm optimistic about that and I believe the wait will be worth it.

Infamous is more like it!
I got a call from tech support today from the man with the desk that everything makes it's last stop. He's ordering another new spindle from the factory and will check it over on it's arrival. I'm optimistic about that and I believe the wait will be worth it.

By the time you get your lathe repaired your warranty will be over....LOL! Do they want the last one they sent you back?

By the time you get your lathe repaired your warranty will be over....LOL! Do they want the last one they sent you back?

He didn't think so but I'll know more in the future. I know this will be the last spindle they will send me because he offered me to return the lathe but I don't need it at the moment and I know what I have in the rest of the machine. Three strikes and you're out in the old ballgame!

Here's the micrometer cases I'm making. This one's for my friend Dan and is a 0-3. In the future the back of each cutout for the thimble will be rounded. Of course the bottom of the cut-outs get padded and felted. That's Philippine
and African Mahogany.

IMG_2045.jpg

IMG_2043.jpg

IMG_2042.jpg

Last edited:
Mikbul,

It certainly is a beautiful lathe.

I've been trying for some time now to figure out if that statement was genuine or a friendly poke since I was off subject?
Anyway I got another call from tech support and my new spindle will be here mid May. When does my warranty run out?LOL

Mikbul

Grizzly has hired a couple guards to watch over my spindle for the 8K when it arrives! Thoughtful folk there at Grizzly

IMG_1271.JPG

Back