Sometimes you get a break

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

black85vette

Reaction score
Had my X2 mill motor stop running. Got to checking and the motor would start and stop as I tapped on the speed control board. In the process of checking for cold solder joints the motor went to full speed and stayed there. Fortunately when I replaced the mosfets on the lathe I ordered spare parts. So swap them out and it is back and running again. Yes, sometimes things actually go your way. Think it is time to order a couple more mosfets. ;D

You speak of replacing a couple of MOSFETS as if it were as simple as swapping out a belt. I wouldn't of known that was even the problem, although I probably could have replaced them once I figured out where to get them! :) I understand the theory of most electronics, but the practical application just seems to elude me. Glad you got your problem fixed.

Chuck

Don't worry Chuck. I to have never been schooled in the ways of the electron.

cfellows said:
You speak of replacing a couple of MOSFETS as if it were as simple as swapping out a belt. I wouldn't of known that was even the problem, although I probably could have replaced them once I figured out where to get them! :) I understand the theory of most electronics, but the practical application just seems to elude me. Glad you got your problem fixed.

Chuck

Not that hard Chuck. Little Machine Shop has troubleshooting instructions in their resource area and then you can buy the transistors from them. Most of the time it is the Mosfets because they carry all the power. LMS has a chart and you just take resistance reading and compare to the chart.

They do not have info on the diode pack on the board but it is easy to replace as well. Its symptoms are simple: the fuse blows every time you apply power.

I would guess that the vast majority of failures is one of these two components and replacing them yourself costs less than $10. So I keep 1 diode pack and 2 transistors in stock.

The shame of it all is you have to even have the parts to keep your machine running. I had a little red lathe from H-F. The failure of the speed control board was the Final Straw.

I had a power surge take out both the board for the mill and lathe. a diode on one and the bridge rectifier on the other less than 10$ in parts. I think the mos fets are the next to go.
tin

MOSFETS have found their way into many appliances and tools these days. I have a fairly new front-loading washing machine and what do you know, the MOSFETS blew with a loud snap the other day. Made me long for the days when motors didn't need such control but I suppose it makes for a more sophisticated product. Once you understand the basic circuitry, it's pretty easy to troubleshoot most things that use them. Start by looking for the scorch marks.

Glad you caught a break, 'Vette!

Powder keg said:
Don't worry Chuck. I to have never been schooled in the ways of the electron.

Huh. Me either, but as a welder of some many years, was well schooled in electrocution..
; )

Dean

but as a welder of some many years, was well schooled in electrocution..

I learned a long time ago not to make yourself part of the circuit.
but I have seen it happen a couple times.
Tin

Sometimes it is a love hate relationship with technology. At least it is for me. It is annoying that some things have become over complicated but on the other hand I love my VFD for 3 phase power to run my milling machine as well as many other pieces of technology. I guess it is just part of progress! ;D

I found several cold solder joints on my x2 control board. They revealed themselves when a large resistor fell off the board and shut me down!! The other large resistor had 1 leg soldered correctly and that was all that held it in place. In addition to that, the cooling fan had never run because of several bad joints on it's power board. Go thru it with a magnifying glass 'vette...there are other gremlins hiding in there!! ???

Or better yet. Take the time to carefully go over each joint with a good soldering iron.

Tin Falcon said:
Tin
Ah yes... reminds me of my first day with a TIG welder. The learning curve was... shocking.

Twmaster said:
Or better yet. Take the time to carefully go over each joint with a good soldering iron.

Yep. Did that. I have a handheld microscope that I use for checking solder connections. Used to be able to do it with my eyes, but, oh well! Didn't see anything that looked bad so I just hit them all with the tip of the iron until the solder started to flow. Added a little solder to a couple of them. You are right and it never hurts.

Vernon said:
Ah yes... reminds me of my first day with a TIG welder. The learning curve was... shocking.

Yanno... That explains a lot Vernon....
::)

black85vette said:
Yep. Did that. I have a handheld microscope that I use for checking solder connections. Used to be able to do it with my eyes, but, oh well! Didn't see anything that looked bad so I just hit them all with the tip of the iron until the solder started to flow. Added a little solder to a couple of them. You are right and it never hurts.

There was a time that now seems like forever-ago that I could read the print on an IC chip without glasses....

Now I'm happy to be somewhat blind cuz I don't like half of what I see anymore! ;)

Tin Falcon said:
Tin

Do it for 25 years and you're gonna get bit now and then, Tin. Sometimes you have to use mirrors to see what you're welding and you stick the rod in the wrong place. Other welders, hole in a glove or cable. It happens.

Dean

Here in the desert it gets hot. You sweat. Sometimes you wear short sleeves even though you know better. Sometimes you rest a bare wrist against the metal work table and strike an arc.

After that there is no sometimes. You just don't do it! DAMHIK....

Sean

Latest posts

Back