Sometimes you get a break

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could 'ya put in a CMOS chip to watch over yer MOSFET's condition? ;D

jack

jack.39 said:
Could 'ya put in a CMOS chip to watch over yer MOSFET's condition? ;D jack

OK Jack, you have me pinned in. I know enough electronics that I know what CMOS is but not enough to know how to go about doing what you suggest and even worse, not enough to know if you are pulling my leg or not. ??? ???

What I have done is to buy MOSFETS with a higher rating than the stock ones. Have not had one of these fail yet. Did the same thing with the rectifier pack. I think they just put in devices without enough of a performance margin.

black85vette said:
OK Jack, you have me pinned in. I know enough electronics that I know what CMOS is but not enough to know how to go about doing what you suggest and even worse, not enough to know if you are pulling my leg or not. ??? ???...

Now you are making me uncomfortable; it was a joke..., but, to loosen the tentacles a bit: I only THINK a CMOS chip was the break-through device about 1990 or so which takes a signal consisting of an input of light, like seen through a viewfinder, and does it's magic by converting that signal to a composite video waveform, IOW, a T-V signal. This made small, hand-held video recorders possible, as it eliminated the unwieldy old technology "image orthicon". I think.

So, a CMOS could keep you continuously aware of the appearance of your MOSFETS.

Now, WTH are MOSFETS?? jack

Hey 'vette, did you get the new MOSFET's at Radio Shack? I have a board that is in need of new ones and I might as well go with something a little beefier. Got the part number handy for them? ;)

jack.39 said:

OK. Sometimes I am a little slow catching the humor. Makes perfect sense now that I put the modern video use of CMOS together with watching the MOSFET. :big: I didn't jump on that thought train quick enough and it left me at the station. I spent a lot of time with digital CMOS chips in logic circuits and I was trying to work that into the post. :Doh:

MOSFETS are fast, high current, solid state switches.

websterz said:
Hey 'vette, did you get the new MOSFET's at Radio Shack? I have a board that is in need of new ones and I might as well go with something a little beefier. Got the part number handy for them? ;)

'vette' mentioned these from Mouser...511-STW20NK50ZN-Ch 500 Volt 17 Amp...replace in pairs. No idea if RS has them..I'd be surprised if they do. I've not looked at Mouser or the data sheets on them yet.

I expect to order a few myself.

I remember when CMOS came out...have to admit I was a little tweaked by them..I was happy with LS parts. But I'm the kind of guy you have to pull kicking and screaming into the future. ;D

websterz said:

As Zee said, you can get them from Mouser Electronics. I also got a rectifier pack from them. I could not cross reference the one on the control board exactly so I went a little bigger. Still fits on the board OK.

512-GBPC1210W 12A Bridge Rectifier $2.45ea
A little bigger than the orignal but fits fine.

511-STW20NK50Z N-Ch 500 Volt 17 Amp $3.60ea
Mosfet for motor control board. Replace in pairs.

As cheap as these are and the failure rate that they have, I think everyone who can solder should keep them in stock.

black85vette said:
MOSFETS are fast, high current, solid state switches.

I attempt humor so rarely, that the results are usually poor; forgive me. Going back, I seem to recall fairly new devices back 'when, which may have preceded MOSFETS, were they called "TRIACS"? There was also another high-current switching device, the name eludes me (NOT a relay!). jack

jack.39 said:
Now you are making me uncomfortable; it was a joke..., but, to loosen the tentacles a bit: I only THINK a CMOS chip was the break-through device about 1990 or so which takes a signal consisting of an input of light, like seen through a viewfinder, and does it's magic by converting that signal to a composite video waveform, IOW, a T-V signal. This made small, hand-held video recorders possible, as it eliminated the unwieldy old technology "image orthicon". I think.

CMOS image sensors for digital cameras and the like is probably what you're thinking of. They were a price/performance increase over the old CCD image sensors.

Plain old "CMOS" has been around for ages as it's the abbreviation for the type of silicon chip manufacturing process 99% of the chips in the world are made of today.

black85vette said:
As Zee said, you can get them from Mouser Electronics. I also got a rectifier pack from them. I could not cross reference the one on the control board exactly so I went a little bigger. Still fits on the board OK.

512-GBPC1210W 12A Bridge Rectifier $2.45ea
A little bigger than the orignal but fits fine.

511-STW20NK50Z N-Ch 500 Volt 17 Amp $3.60ea
Mosfet for motor control board. Replace in pairs.

As cheap as these are and the failure rate that they have, I think everyone who can solder should keep them in stock.

Thanks 'vette! I just ordered 4 'FETS and a pair of rectifiers so I can repair one dead board and have spares on hand. :bow:

black85vette said:
Aren't tubes just transistors with the filament removed?? :big:

Nah! They're the things that leak in my boiler! Seriously, now guys, knocking tubes is OK by me, but keep in mind, I don't think they have economically come up with a solid-state replacement for the Magnetron tubes in our indispensable microwave ovens.......or have they? jack

black85vette said:
SCR maybe??

That's it! Gosh, getting old and having to hunt for words that you know are still in the old "bank" is getting to be a drag. My wife always says, "Consider the alternative". Wonder what she's thinking just then?? jack

jack.39 said:
Nah! They're the things that leak in my boiler! Seriously, now guys, knocking tubes is OK by me, but keep in mind, I don't think they have economically come up with a solid-state replacement for the Magnetron tubes in our indispensable microwave ovens.......or have they? jack

Just noticed I got my joke backwards. It would be transistors are tubes without a filament. :wall:

I have not heard of a magnetron replacement. However in the music world tubes have come back. There is just not anything solid state or digital that can replicate the curve of a preamp tube being over driven. A lot of guitar players have gone back to tube pre amps with solid state power amps and there is a good market for rebuilding classic guitar amps with the old spring type reverb / delay. So maybe we are not as outdated as we thought. Unfortunately I found out about this about a year too late and had thrown out my old RCA tube reference manual thinking I would never need it again. :Doh:

I ended up building a tube preamp for my youngest son for a bass guitar.

Where in blue blazes do you still get tubes? I didn't think they even made them anymore.

Of course I am electrically illiterate too. :big: :big: :big:

Ron

ozzie46 said:
Where in blue blazes do you still get tubes? I didn't think they even made them anymore.

Of course I am electrically illiterate too. :big: :big: :big: Ron

They are out there. You can get them to fix old radios. A lot of them come from Russia (don't ask me why). There is New Old Stock available on eBay and web sites like this one:

http://thetubestore.com/nos-12av6.html

Up until a few years ago my Ham radio transmitter used tubes and many of the higher power RF amps still use tubes in the final stage. So for the die hard electronics geeks tubes live on.

But then again a lot of people probably wonder; "Why in the world would you mess with steam engines?? I didn't know they even made them anymore." :big:

Getting way off topic here but I was given a "Electrohome" am/fm stereo radio record player. It is a large console unit and the sound is wonderful so I am glad you posted the site for tubes. This thing was made in the 60s or 70s. Immaculate finish on it too.
Made of REAL wood. Heavy thing too.

Thanks for the link.

Ron

The Russians 'perfected' small tubes, because they didn't have the industrial infrastructure to start up manufacture of transistors. They STILL have lots of tubes in use in all kinds of equipment currently. Their space shots and most of the satellites used them as well. They went into space without a single transistorized device back in the day(60's to 80's)

I watch to much documentary TV, ;D
Kermit

Latest posts

Back