Something I Need to Say

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rake60

Reaction score
I've been accused of being far too safety conscious here.

I have an anniversary coming up that makes that even harder to accept.
A guy at work defied the rules and was operating a horizontal boring
mill with gloves on. Stringers were winding around a 6" cutter on a finish
cut that would ruin the finish, so he reached in to clear them.
The stringers caught the glove and pulled his hand through the cutter.

After he was hauled away to the hospital another operator was to continue on.
While cleaning up the machine he picked up a glove.
A sizeable chunk of a hand fell out of it and he had to go home for the day.
He was suddenly too sick to work.

Many years before that a buddy running a lathe next to me lost his little finger
to a spinning collet in a production turret lathe.

I was there in an instant but there was nothing to do.
He told me to try to save it and I told him there was nothing left to save.
He said:"You know in a situation like this a little sugar coating wouldn't hurt!"

This man's hand was just mangeled past the point of no return and the two of
us are laughing.... (On the outside.)

Getting hurt by machine is a tragedy!
Seeing it happen to a friend is a horror that will stick with you for the rest
of your life.

If you think I'm too safety conscious, I apologize....

LIKE HELL I WILL!!!!

Rick

It's sad that you have to keep bashing this one out Rick. Old saying, " You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink " Too true. I suppose I'm a miserable old bugger too, but sorry, if someone posts something that grates as far as safety is concerned I'm gonna shout aswell. You can only advise, but for some? ? ?
Regards Ian

No such thing as too many safety messages as what may be common sense to some, other just don't know.

A couple of weeks ago I was complaining it was too cold to work in my workshop and I had someone just tell me 'Well just put a long sleeve jumper on.'

It wasn't until I explained the dangers of long sleeves and rotary equipment like lathes and drills they realised that long sleeves are just too dangerous.

A highly respected friend of mine who happens to be a master machinist of 40 years got some fingers removed doing some maintenance work on an air compressor. Long story short, It absolutely broke my heart when I heard about it. That was a wake up for me.

I am much more aware of what I am doing around my shop regardless of the tools I use because of this.

You don't get it until it happens to you or a friend...then it's too late. You don't get them back!

Additionally, I have two small children that I want to set a good example for.

When they come out to the shop. The glasses are on, along with a face mask on them and me..where appropriate.

You have nothing to apologize about.......

cannot stress it enough, all of us have done things that got us hurt and must say that I did know better, but I was younger and bullet proof, living for ever till I was rebuilding the Steniel milling, wire bush wheel that I as using a round one with the button on, no safety handle, it rolled one half turn, hit the little button it when off, run across the table just before it jumped off, on wire found a way to get into my eye, now can you image, trying to get to the house can't see moving the other eye made it worse and have to call out to the wife to come get me in the yard, she like to lost it, the things that I hear from her on the way to the hospital and then the reaming from the doctor, did come out OK, soon as that was healed I went back to work on the machine, dropped a screw could not find it, then I found it with my Knee, nothing that knee surgery did not fix, safe, I am getting to old for the unsafe acts and it cost to much, no productivity when we are down, not only does the family depend on us, but the people where we work depend on us, safety glasses, no on the knees unless there are pads, that was a very expensive repair job on both of us, Safety, say it over and over until be believe it and do it, Lath Nut

Latest posts

Back