It Just Happens TOO Fast!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rake60

Reaction score
I got a phone call from an guy I worked with years ago at another shop.
A mutual friend lost his index finger and thumb off his right hand this morning.
Seems he was polishing a fit on a shaft with his left hand and his right hand got
too close to the steady rest.

We all get cut.
I clipped 1/4" off the end of a finger one night. I knew it had been hit, but it
didn't really hurt. Then I noticed something sticking to the ways of the machine.
By the time I figured out what it was i was getting a little dizzy.

On another event a light stringer whipped out and wrapped around a finger.
I am a curious type of person that likes to know just how things work, but
seeing a totally exposed knuckle joint isn't really something I care to ever see
again.

There is never time to react.
Safety has to be PREPLANNED!

Rick

Very good life examples Rick, it just proves it is very difficult to preplan accidents, and it can happen to anyone, anytime.

I have always said to myself, that if anything nasty ever starts to happen on my machinery, where I can't get to the stop button, I will just do a runner, and pick up the pieces later. Luckily it has never happened to me, except for being chased around by a chuck that came off. The chuck, and the job that was in it was trashed.

To me, the price of a new lathe, miller or tooling is nothing, compared to having a part of it embedded in your body.

John

Latest posts

Back