Curved and Classic "S" spoke Flywheel construction

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the good words. I do get a lot of satisfaction out of learning how to do things the old ways. I'm not anti CNC ... I just find the process too sterile for my personal tastes and the looks on CNC type faces are priceless when they learn it was all manually done.

Mainer
The selection of those values was not mine. They are a combination that offers a maximum number of divisible combinations.

Among those three number sets, one can make radial patterns of 2-3-4-5-6-8-10-12-15-20-25-30-40-50-60 holes. It's proven to be a very usable and useful tool. I also have a very similar indexing system mounted on my lathe spindle.

Steve

I'm not sure it would give you anything useful, and you'd probably go crazy trying to keep the holes straight, but have you considered indexing with more than one row at at time?

Mainer
So far I've not encountered a situation where the available indexing options haven't been adequate, but I always have the rotary table, if thinks get a little wonkie. I've also used the table to drill the head studs on cylinders, some half round cuts and the recent round cut out for my quill stop.

I keep finding new ways to use it, but that might be due to the hammer/nail syndrome. When all you have is a hammer, every job looks like a nail...(grin)

I'm not sure I can visualize a dual indexing system that would let me use the tool. Straight jackets are just not that user friendly...(grin)

Steve

Latest posts

Back