Someone is asleep at the switch. SPAM

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canyonman

Reaction score
Who are the Moderators for this section.

You have some trash to take out.

Ken

For some reason the spam people always hit the tool section. Sometimes it is several times a day. We have all talked about it and we want to make the forum easy to join for good people, but the spammers go along with that. The tool moderators do the most work and I feel they do a great job.

Kenny

Hear! Hear! I agree they do a fine job. Simply drawing it to their attention.

Ken

We are not asleep at the switch Ken.

We deal with, on average 6 to 12 of these events a day.

If there is an occasion where a member sees it before we do, I personally
apologize for that!

My goal is to keep this a PUBLIC forum.
In doing that the scum seeps in.

Our team does it's very best effort at keeping it off the board as it
surfaces. We CAN eliminate it by locking the board down.
I won't do that! I'm not about to frustrate a well intentioned member from
joining by making it a test of jumping through hoops.

You will most likely see a spammers post here again in the future.
Next time you do, set a timer. See how long it lasts....

I doubt that there is anyone here who gets more pizzed off by the
spammers than me. It's just a part of the game.

Rick

Easy there Rick....LOL

I wasn't offended by the heads up. Heck...I got a PM about it from Down Under too. Just keep in mind even the forum moderators aren't on the board 24/7 any more than you are. You might see me logged in at any time, since I keep a browser window loaded with the forum open for quick entry.

However... I'm often dealing with other things. I check the board frequently, but between chewing up metal, working on engine designs, keeping up with sales for the Jensen Steam Engine company and spending time with my wife and grandkids, you might just see a naked lady once in a while. We moderators do have real lives too...LOL

All ya gotta do is drop a polite Private Message to one of the mods for the area where there is a problem and we'll fix it as soon as we drop in. By sending us a PM, we get an email notification too. Just keep it civil and we will too.

Steve

Just to back Rick and Steve up here.
Because this is mainly an American site there are times when they have to go to sleep and then I stick my nose in. Being in a different time zone, I get very little from these scum, but what does is usually gone within the hour, as that is how often I try to do a quick check.
There does seem to be a lot less of this garbage posted at European times, so if it does offend, maybe try to view in GMT daylight hours.

John

I help mod another forum and it got so bad on ours we had to opt to have manual activation on the forum.
We decided it was the only way we could go as we have a lot of younger people on there and really didn't want to expose them to it.
It was a tough call and maybe in the future it will be have to looked at here.
But basically what I'm saying is, its near impossible to monitor every post real time and sometimes they will slip through, I except that and think none the less of this forum because of that as I know how much work it is trying to keep on top of it and your only reward for doing it is not having people complain.

So keep up the good works Mods and have a pat on the back, you all deserve it.

Complaints about naked women! am i missing something here :shock:

I'm a moderator on a high-traffic forum that is a big spammer target. They figured out how to bypass the "what's the word in the picture" security thing, so we went to manual-approval for a while, but even with five mods on it, it still took a couple days to get people approved, which was a pain.

Then the admin hit on a brilliant idea. In the signup form is a box that says "put any five numbers in here --> [ ]"

The spam robots hit a brick wall. Instantly the auto-signups ceased and we went back to automatic approvals. Very rarely somebody will manually sign up to spam, but it's maybe once every 3 months. I don't know if the freeforums software allows that level of modification, but it's something to look into.

Latest posts

Back