Snow bunnies, eat your hearts out...

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mklotz said:
Picture of the indoor/outdoor thermometer sitting on my desk...

Phooey.. I thought this was going to be a thread about snow. :p

joeby said:
Rick,

I'm scheduled to be in Pomona for the first week in March. How about I swing by Punxy and grab that big icicle. I should be able to find time to adjust Marv's thermometer before I head for home. :big:

Kevin

Nope, Marv isn't getting any part of my icicle.
It will not go out rattling around in a mixture of Gin and Vermouth!

I have a 50/50 chance here and a side bet running on the Martini recipe
of choice. Did I win or are those Vodka Martinis?
???

Rick

Vodka is good for removing stains but who in his right mind would consider drinking the stuff?

No, proper martinis are made by pouring Tanqueray over ice and then stirring gently with an olive that's been marinated in vermouth.

So, Rick, did you win the bet?

mklotz said:
No, proper martinis are made by pouring Tanqueray over ice and then stirring gently with an olive that's been marinated in vermouth.

I can't say that I have much experience there either.
If my drinks are shaken or even gently stirred, my tee shirt gets wet
when I crack a can open.
:shrug:

Rick

Hey Rick that snow is just part of Global Warming. Cliff

Not every one is hating the the snow. My Grand Daughter Molly loves it!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EBHb8XY1WM[/ame]

The snow is still too deep for Molly to make her way back up that little hill
without help, and her Pappy was only able to do it 12 times. :-[

By the way Marv, I finally took the time to mix up a proper Martini here.
I hadn't done that in years. It turned out very nice!
The beer chaser did take the edge off of it.

OK, I am just kidding about the beer chaser thing. ;)
The ingredients list would probably be revolting enough.
3 parts New Amsterdam gin to 1 part Martini & Rossi extra dry vermouth.

I would what to drink them every night, but if I'm out of beer they'd do in
a pinch. LOL

Rick

Rick,

Try a 10:1 ratio. 3:1 is way too much Italian and not enough Dutch/English.

I only once tried martinis with a beer chaser. It was on a sail to Catalina on a friend's boat. Took me about three tries to step on the pier when we reached Avalon. :) Never again.

BTW, I meant to ask you. Does Pennsylvania still have that weird system where one has to buy hard liquor at State stores? I remember that from my youth but presume they've done away with it by now.

They call them "Wine & Spirits" stores now, but they are still State Stores.
We still have to go to a Distributor or Beverage Store to buy beer as well.
With so few places to purchase from, everybody knows my name.

Rick

I knew there was a reason I moved out of Pennsylvania as soon as I could. :)

I remember "blue laws" too. You couldn't buy alcohol on Sundays. (Apparently the self-righteous legislators thought that sinning should only be done on weekdays.)

One of my biggest surprises upon getting to California was the fact that every supermarket had a liquor section and they were open on Sunday.

mklotz said:
I knew there was a reason I moved out of Pennsylvania as soon as I could. :)

I remember "blue laws" too. You couldn't buy alcohol on Sundays. (Apparently the self-righteous legislators thought that sinning should only be done on weekdays.)

One of my biggest surprises upon getting to California was the fact that every supermarket had a liquor section and they were open on Sunday.

Marv, I heard the law was passed so that you could sober up on Sunday, after a heavy amount of drinking on Friday and Saturday, allowing you to make it back to work on Monday!

I heard the reason for the 24/7, and easy access at you local grocery stores is so that 'rattled Californians' can quickly self medicate to calm their nerves, after one of the quakes and tremors.

Is that true? Or is there another reason?

-MB

You guys who live back there in snow and hurricane country just want to believe that earthquakes are as bad as the awfulness that nature sends your way. :)

We have several earthquakes a day...

http://www.data.scec.org/recenteqs/Maps/Los_Angeles.html

The vast majority of these are undetctable without a seismograph.

I've lived through at least a dozen quakes strong enough to sway the chandeliers or be felt while driving a car. The only damage sustained was a broken hot water heater connector pipe during the Northridge quake.

The total death toll from quakes in California, even including the 1906 quake, is far less than the deaths from hurricanes, tornadoes and flooding in fly-over country.

Yeah, someday the big one will hit and the idiots who work in the high-rise dominoes in downtown LA will be rolling out their 30th floor windows on their desk chairs into the streets below.

If the big one gets me, so be it. Nobody lives forever. I just hope I have a martini in my hand when I slide into the ocean. :)

Marv,

I used to live near San Francisco and have been through several quakes including the one in 1989.

My friends in the S.E. ask me what I was going to do when the "Big One" hit.

I told them that I would miss them after everything East of California slid into the Atlantic Ocean or the Gulf of Mexico.

Rof}

SAM

SAM in LA said:
Marv,

I used to live near San Francisco and have been through several quakes including the one in 1989.

My friends in the S.E. ask me what I was going to do when the "Big One" hit.

I told them that I would miss them after everything East of California slid into the Atlantic Ocean or the Gulf of Mexico.

Rof}

SAM

Lotta truth to that Sam, since the area West of the San Andreas fault line rises whenever there's a big one, like in 1906.

-T

mklotz said:
Where in LA do you live, Sam? Maybe we're neighbors.

Marv,

LA stands for Lower Alabama.

I moved from SF Area many years ago.

SAM

SAM in LA said:
Marv,

I think that you're going to find that the majority of the world thinks that LA stands for Los Angeles.

SAM in LA said:

Sam

That hit my funny bone Sam. That's like me saying I live in Lower Pilot Hill (total pop 462). :big:

"OH" it is great to live in Coffs Harbour ,N.S.W. Australia,where the weather is great one day and wonderfull the next. *beer* Thm:

Ian (seagar).

I can't believe you! That an't fair! We got 10 inches of snow on Feb. 9. I had to shove our road out with the dozer. A D7 and the snow went over the engine! You just live it up.

Wes

Latest posts

Back