Snip

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunboatbay

Reaction score
Most of the computers made in the past few years come preloaded with Windows Vista Home Premium. A couple of months ago I learned about "Snip", a not commonly known feature built into all versions of Vista except Home Basic. After using it for two months, I find it's one of the handiest features for making a quick copy of anything you see and much more practical than print-screen or copy/paste, etc. I made a shortcut on my quick-launch toolbar for it and use it all the time. If you're not familiar with it, try it for a few times and I'm sure you'll like it.

Hello,

OK Im game, how do you acess it, and how do you use it?

Best Wishes

Chuck M

Interesting... I had no idea that was there either. Nice find :)

But, here's how to access it...

click on the start orb, and either type snip in the search bar or go to All Programs -> Accessories. File name is Snipping Tool.
snip1.png

snip2.png

Open it and you are presented with a quick little box
snip3.png

Once you select the part of the screen, you are given some options:
snip4.png

It will allow you to save as PNG, JPG, GIF (image formats) or HTML (web) format.
--or--
Copy the image to the clipboard
--or--
E-mail it to someone

Holding down the 'Alt' key when you press print screen (Windows sys)will capture only the active window instead of the whole screen. If you make the window smaller than the whole screen it will capture just that portion.

This puts a smaller size image into your clipboard and makes the file small enough to fit within the screen without scrolling.

Kermit

There are definitely several free programs similiar in nature to print-screen. The problem with most of them is you're restricted to copying the whole screen, or, as Kermit mentioned, the whole active screen, then, as you just copy it to the clipboard, you must open some other program and paste it. With 'snip', you select any portion of what you see and that's all you need to snip. Then, if you right-click, you can save it anyplace you want. For example; if I'm browsing this, or another forum, or surfing the web and see an interesting post, picture, etc. I can 'snip' just a small part of a paragraph or the head a shoulders of a picture, save it to the desktop and review it later or file it in a more appropriate place.
Burntcav gave an excellent description on accessing 'Snip"; however there's a possibility that 'Snip' hasn't been activated in your particular computer. If that's the case, when you search for Snip or go to accessories you won't find it. Here's a few more details: "If you have a version of Vista other than Home Basic, you already have the Snipping Tool screen capture utility: Choose Start, All Programs, Accessories, Snipping Tool. If you don't see it there, it may not be activated. Go to Control Panel and open Program and Features (you may have to click Programs first). In the task pane on the left, click Turn Windows features on or off. If necessary, click Continue when prompted by User Account Control. Scroll through the list of features, check the box next to Tablet PC Optional Components, and click OK. Turning on these features gives you not only the Snipping Tool, but also the Tablet PC Input Panel, Windows Journal, and other stylus-related features.

I use to use Snag-it till I found that tool and now I use that all the time. It's nice to be able to grap just want you want.

The snipping tool rocks. Especially with a pen or touch screen you can just circle what you want, then mark on it and highlight it, then e-mail it to somebody all in one go. It even includes a link to the source page if it was a web site.

snip1.jpg

Back