Ohrndorf 5 Cylinder Radial

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made a new shaft with an integral end flange to retain the gear cluster that way. The advantages are it eliminates the bolt & washer business which could come loose one day & runs dangerously close to the back of the ring gear plate as is. The disadvantage is that the shaft is somewhat permanently bonded into the gear plate with Loctite. A tradeoff I accepted assuming I could again use local torch heat to remove it, even though it put up a fight coming out. My plate was undamaged but I think if it comes to that I’d make a new plate out of steel with a meatier shaft, although it can’t get too large a diameter ~6mm? just based on the inner gear diameter of the 10T gear.

I didn’t take a good picture but I drilled two ~1mm oil holes into the 10T gear & 4 holes in the 12T gear. I also drilled two axial oil bleed holes through the gear plate on either side of the idler shaft, hoping to get lubrication from the crankcase chamber into what becomes the back face of the 12T gear. Both ends of the gear have a washer made from brass shim stock. I am happy to say this seems to have worked. Yet another run & teardown showed the shaft was nice & oily with the idler spinning freely. Lesson learned.

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
I didn’t take a good picture but I drilled two ~1mm oil holes into the 10T gear & 4 holes in the 12T gear. I also drilled two axial oil bleed holes through the gear plate on either side of the idler shaft, hoping to get lubrication from the crankcase chamber into what becomes the back face of the 12T gear. Both ends of the gear have a washer made from brass shim stock. I am happy to say this seems to have worked. Yet another run & teardown showed the shaft was nice & oily with the idler spinning freely. Lesson learned.
A good solution !
I have memorized

Thanks for catching. Corrected. Where is AI when you need it. OTOH, while re-boring the ID, there WAS inner fear, LOL.

One of my apprenticeship training instructors called those kind of things - - anal sphincter jobs. You know - - - - when you clamp your cheeks up right tight and are a hoping and a praying it will work right - - - cause if it don't - - - you're in the deep kimchi!

Latest posts

Back