Small stuff

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad_Mike

Mad Mike
Reaction score
I am amazed at how small this stuff is for model's, I am used to machining things that are measured in feet not fractions of an inch. I will have no problem adapting to it, I am just amazed by it. The last gear case I machined was 51' long x 25' high x 10' wide, it took 3 weeks to finish. I have been working on a 2 cylinder wobbler that is only 5" x 3" x 2.5", what a difference.

Mad Mike
I like anything with enough power to do something stupid with.

I am amazed at how small this stuff is for model's, I am used to machining things that are measured in feet not fractions of an inch. I will have no problem adapting to it, I am just amazed by it. The last gear case I machined was 51' long x 25' high x 10' wide, it took 3 weeks to finish. I have been working on a 2 cylinder wobbler that is only 5" x 3" x 2.5", what a difference.

Mad Mike

It's certainly a new twist isn't it! :D Just keeps things interesting so yer
brain doesn't rot. Some of these guys (and gals) make the most amazing
tiny little things. :eek:

Pete

This is the coolest thing since mashed potatoes.

Mad Mike

To me that is tiny in the extreme, I probably couldn't even see it.

Mad Mike

To me that is tiny in the extreme, I probably couldn't even see it.

It's not as bad as it looks.

Picture006.jpg~original

I guess I can see it, however it is very tiny. It still very cool.

Mad Mike

I have seen posts of a chap who makes working models of lathes and mills,
shapers etc and they are only a couple of inches long.The smaller you get the harder it becomes.Thats why i have scaled up a couple of my models

I have seen posts of a chap who makes working models of lathes and mills,
shapers etc and they are only a couple of inches long.The smaller you get the harder it becomes.Thats why i have scaled up a couple of my models

Perhaps you are thinking of Barry Jordan and his excellent miniature working tools.

Worth a look.

Cheers

Norman

I take my hat off to all the people who can make working machines or engines that small. Bazmak is correct in saying that the smaller it gets the harder it is to machine, for me it is not so much the physical size, but the tolerances that will do you in. I imagine that they are working with a tolerance of +/-0.0001 or so, on the afore mentioned gear case I had +/-0.015 to work with, a huge difference. I do see one advantage to building something that small, unless you are working with some exotic material, it does not cost as much if you happen to make a mistake and have to scrap a part.

Mad Mike

Back