Slitting saws

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chucketn

Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I’m looking for low cost slitting saw blades to use on my X2 mill. MSC is way too expensive at $150-$200 for a 2 ½” to 3” blade. LMS doesn’t seem to cary them. Where have you found an affordable slitting saw?

Chuck in E. TN ???

Chuck, I bought a 2" dia x 1/8" wide one last week from MSC for $24.36. Not sure what face width you are looking for but most (even in 2 1/2 - 3 in dia. seem to be in the 25.00-40.00 range, and that is for the made in USA ones, imports are even less. Take a look at this page of the MSC big book.

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNPDFF?PMPAGE=521&PMITEM=73322083&PMCTLG=00

Bill

Thanks, Bill. That's more like it.
I Googled "slitting saws", clicked on a link to MSC and that's where I found the $150-$200 prices. I guess "Jewlers saw" might be a better search term.

Chuck in E. TN

I picked up several used blades at NAMES last week for $1 each. I can send you one, although I'm away from home for the next week.

Has anyone try ed the little carbide saw blades for wood they work real good . I have one that is 3 3/8 in. dia. and 24 teeth cuts .043 wide. I have used it in steel, alum, brass. The only thing is that you have to make your own arbor to fit the blade the center hole is metric.
I made a arbor with a 1/2in shank chucked in a 1/2IN Collete on the mill and finish turning to size that way you have almost 0 run out.

Thanks Don in Pueblo Co

Don, I just finished my connecting rods for my loco and used one to cut the slots in the trailing rod for the leading rod to fit into. Worked great. Got it at "horrible frite" for next to nothing.

Ron

There are SLITTING saws, these have side clearance and may cut on the sides, wery expensive.

then there are SLOTTING saws, these are thin, used long time ago for cutting the slot in a slotted head screw. Have rough tooth, no clearance or at most a hollow ground. Wery affordable and very handy for the HSM.

then there are JEWELER saws, these have very fine theet, are usually limited in diameter and quite thin. Inexpensive, but not so useful because between the quill and the harbor diameter there is very little abilty left to curt deep.

One thing to keep in mind when using saws in the mill is the surface speed of the cutter. As the dia. of the cutter increases the surface speed goes up for any given rpm and sometimes the slowest speed on the mill is still to fast. Dave

Latest posts

Back