Six-Stroke Cycle Model Gas Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BronxFigs

Reaction score
I want to make a single cylinder, AIR-COOLED model gas engine.
Bore: 1.00" - 1.250"
Stroke 1.50" - 2.00"
Spark Ignition, conventional, Aluminum cooling fins on cylinder and head. Scratch-built from weldments, and bar-stock.

Can I make it a six-stroke, by turning the cam at 1/3 crank speed, and holding open the exhaust valve for three strokes, only closing it on the power cycle? This will let the engine fire every six strokes and aid in cooling off the head and cylinder by sucking in fresh air for four crank revolutions. Could/Should the intake be held open also, and do I need to use an atmospheric intake valve design for this concept to work?

Now, please don't laugh. I just this second thought about this and haven't given the 6-stroke idea any thoughts, but instead, quickly dashed off a post to ask this question to forum members.

Philip Duclos built a six-cycle "Oddball", but it think it was a Hit and Miss engine...or, was it? It was governed, but can such an engine be throttled to control speed?

Opinions and thoughts welcomed. Stupid idea, or, viable option to a four-cycle design? Will I get better cooling of the heads and cylinder by going to 6-cycles, and pumping air most of the time?

Frank

Somewhere, on one of the Forums (HMEM, MEM, MadModder), John Moore (Bogstandard) built an engine that he could run as four stroke or six stroke and possibly other modes as well. Might be worth a search or a PM to Bogs.

Jim

Thanks, Jim,

Now that you mention it, I think I know the engine. It's shown on a video. I will try to find it. So, I guess it can be done?

Frank

Latest posts

Back