Simple update with my HF Lathe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Novian

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, since i found out that carbide bits from HF aren't good since they dont have any rake and angles.

Yesturday i went to one of the machinist stores in my area (KBC TOOLS), and picked up:

5 HSS blank tool bits,

91e495d2.jpg

47a573b0.jpg

some Cutting Fluid,

3cf988d3.jpg

and Engineer's Black Book, USA edition

And followed the instructions to grinding HSS Tool bits.
b6c07d4e.jpg

Look at all these chips!
bb2fd883.jpg

I still have yet to make a Facing tool. The tool shown in the book is great for carving down the diameter. (page 52)
30cc7fbe.jpg

1" Diameter 6061 Aluminum bar, got it down to 0.751"
13fc1fb3.jpg

I've noticed that when using that cutting fluid, it starts to smoke, is that normal? Is it supposed to have thin fumes? I guessing its just the coolent taking the heat away, making the coolent hot to the point of burning instead of the tool burning.

That bar is being turned down to 3/4" because i'm wanting to make a mini V6 IC Engine. Out of the other parts, pistons are the simplest, and its a good way to determine if making a real IC engine is even within my abilities.

I had the same experience with HF toolbits. Like you I very much prefer the HSS blanks I grind myself.

A bit of smoking is not uncommon, especially with heavier cuts.

I admire your aim to go for a V6 as the first IC engine. I opted to start with a webster...

btw, the measurement with calipers may be a bit off -- you cannot be sure you positioned them perfectly... I would mike it to be sure.

very nice,

tom in MA

Latest posts

Back