Silver Soldering/Brazing 303 Stainless to Brass

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Solder Ag Cu Zn Melting °F Flow °F
IT 80 16 4 1330 1490
Hard 75 22 3 1365 1450
Medium 70 20 10 1275 1360
Easy 65 20 15 1240 1360

Silver Content Melting Point
Easy 45% 1145° F
Medium-Easy 65% 1255° F
Medium 70% 1275° F
Hard 75% 1365° F

Harris Safety Silv 45
44-46 29-31 24-26 1225°F Solid 1370°F Liquid

The terms easy, medium and hard seem to be arbitrary between suppliers as in the charts that Dan posted. I grabbed the spec of Harris 45% which is common for model makers but it would take metal expert to compare them. Even in Dan's chart there doesn't seem to be a pattern in percentage of other metals as the percentage of silver changes.

My gungho heating methods don't work well with using two different alloys of silver solder on a part. I posted on this board one time that on fuel tanks I silver soldered the fittings and then soft soldered the ends.

Deanofid said:
The jewelers solder I find on the web has different compositions than any of the regular silver brazing
alloys. As far as using three, (or more) alloys on a piece, you can do the same with silver brazing alloys.
Each alloy melts at a different temp. Use the highest melting one first and work down.

Dean,
One of the most important concerns with jewelers silver solder is color match. As it is silver solder that joins the base metal of silver the attempt is to make an invisible joint.

Dan

Dan Rowe said:
Dean,
One of the most important concerns with jewelers silver solder is color match. As it is silver solder that joins the base metal of silver the attempt is to make an invisible joint.

Dan

I think I'm probably missing your point here, Dan. I mean, I don't know how it relates
to silver brazing in model engineering. Sorry for being thick! ;)

Dean

Deanofid said:
That's a new one to me, Harry . . . . How old do you reckon that package on the right is?
I don't know, but the one on the left has a spec sheet included which has an "edition" date of 1996.

Latest posts

Back