Silver Bullet

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its all good fun if you don't weaken

Cam.jpg

Cam2.jpg

Very nice build. Someone else on the forum (who will remain nameless) is building that same engine, and I am sure he will enjoy looking over your build.---Brian
Yes, Brian, he (me) is also building this engine, LOL.
Michael, congratulations on your excellent build. You are probably ahead of me in completion, but I will get there quite soon.
By the way, I am using the Jerry Howell Hall Effect ignition system, that I find to be excellent. try a SS dual coil as well.
Good luck on the running.
Mosey

Welcome Michael, that's a nice looking engine and an excessively clean workshop; I hope it doesn't always look like that, it would put we lesser mortals to shame.

Jim

That looks very pretty indeed. I hope I can do half as well on the Peewee. (actually 1/2 as good x twice as large = roughy the same, on average :p)

Hi Mike,

Was suppose to cut cam using same method but I chickened out. The Milling method wasn't any better but after 1/2 dozen bad cams,I got good cams and the Nemett-Lynx Engine fired up and ran well.

Hi Mike,

Was suppose to cut cam using same method but I chickened out. The Milling method wasn't any better but after 1/2 dozen bad cams,I got good cams and the Nemett-Lynx Engine fired up and ran well.

Hi Gus
I was going to try the mill but I decided on the lathe, I'm not sure what one is the best way or easiest

Turning in the lathe takes a long time stoping and starting to rotate the cam, might be a bit quicker in the mill maybe

Hi Mike.
True .Was faster on the mill,turning RT/cam by 1 degree advance and feed quill by the thou. Problems appeared. RT was reworked/redone/fine tuned before first good cam appeared. Also had to DIY a DRO using M.I.C. Digital Caliper which also had to be reworked and fine tuned to move quill feed by the thou. Was a bit stressed by the unforgiving requirement by the designer--Malcom Steed. His engine really humbled me.:) The reward was the Nemett-Lynx Engine ran very well beyond my expectation.

Last edited:
Hi Mike.
True .Was faster on the mill,turning RT/cam by 1 degree advance and feed quill by the thou. Problems appeared. RT was reworked/redone/fine tuned before first good cam appeared. Also had to DIY a DRO using M.I.C. Digital Caliper which also had to be reworked and fine tuned to move quill feed by the thou. Was a bit stressed by the unforgiving requirement by the designer--Malcom Steed. His engine really humbled me.:) The reward was the Nemett-Lynx Engine ran very well beyond my expectation.

Good that you have it running, I did see your thread, you did a good job on the build

Looks great! Just waiting on ignition now is it? Or are you going to build the radiator, etc before you try and start it?

I know I always aim to wait until everything is done to start it up, but I always get impatient and start it as soon as it's possible.

Thanks Cogsy

I still have a few things to do, I'm going to put a one way bearing on the crankshaft, just waiting for the bearing to come.
Still have to make a needle for the carby
And then the ignition, I have the parts for the ignition now
I haven't decided if I will wait until I make the radiator and fuel tank before trying to start it

That's a good looking engine Michael, I am following with interest.

Jim

Back