Silver Bullet Build

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danthompson58

Reaction score
I am starting on my Silver Bullet. I got most of the material gathered up and have been doing a little machining.

DSC02095.jpg

DSC02099.jpg

DSC02112.jpg

DSC02114.jpg

Excellent work on your engine. It looks like your camshaft came out great using Steve's machining method.
gbritnell

Hi Dan

It looks like you are making great progress on the Silver Bullet; thanks for sharing.

Dave

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I have finished the water pump, all the pulleys and the fan. I have installed the crank and camshaft and cut the camshaft to final length everything turns very nice in the engine.

DSC02276.jpg

Engine is about done however, I have noticed the pushrods are not vertical with the engine block. I have remeasured everything and cannot find the discrepancy, is this normal on this engine? The pushrods need to go in about .090 to make them vertical.

DSC02370.jpg

DSC02373.jpg

Engine is about done however, I have noticed the pushrods are not vertical with the engine block. I have remeasured everything and cannot find the discrepancy, is this normal on this engine? The pushrods need to go in about .090 to make them vertical.

Don't worry about it. It's not unusual. I am currently building the Pacifier which is the V4 version of your engine and it is the same way. It actually helps for the pushrods to clear the screws holding the intake manifold on.

Is there a name in addition to Silver Bullet I can Google to get more info on this engine?

Is there a name in addition to Silver Bullet I can Google to get more info on this engine?

There is nothing out there about it as it is still in development. It does get a bit confusing. He made the hurc that was 5/8 bore and stroke. Then came the Bullet with 3/4 B&S. Then he built the pacifier with a 5/8 B&S. Before he passed away he renamed the Pacifier Peewee after his wife. Peewee was her nick name. So The Peewee is the V4 5/8 B&S. I have one in running condition. Now before he passed away he made the patterns for the V4 with a 3/4 B&S but never had any castings made. Dirk has the patterns so he made up some castings and sent them to me. For a few weeks now I have been working on the new Pacifier. I'm just getting started but it is going good. I'm hoping to have a good chunk of it done for NAMES in April. After I get it built I will pass the drawings off to Dirk. He plans to sell casting kits to build the engine.

Hi Dan,

Nice job on the Silver Bullet. I've been working on a Bullet as well. Based on my measurements and studying the prints, I felt the rocker arm dimensions were a little off. I adjusted the rocker to make the pushrods vertical and eliminate some of the length beyond the valve keepers. Your tilted pushrods should run ok, though.

Please keep us posted on your build.

Regards,

Chuck

Latest posts

Back