Show Us Your Lathe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's beautiful! I love 102's.

Did you ever hear from Carl regarding the model steamship engines?

Dave

what model steamship engines? ???

I did not build any steamship engines yet... ::)

Florian

Here is my HLV-H I completely rebuilt it. I replaced every bearing but the spindles they were in great shape. I closed every tolerance i could, a tech guy at hardinge when he heard my backlash numbers told me it was a tighter machine then new . Thats always nice to hear.

PC310051.JPG

My KBC 9 x 20 with the 4 bolt tool post conversion, tumbler reverse , Bison 5 inch 3 jaw chuck. I will do the QCTP conversion this fall when I have some more time.

Cheers Wayne

9x20.jpg

My ML7 - used for everything and was well worth the money. Currently screwcutting a 32tpi thread on the end of my bike hubs:
03082010642.jpg

Would not swap it for the world.

Well mine is a little SEIG C2 lathe... Have not done a lot with it at this stage beyond clean it up and check it out... I did make tool holder for some carbide tips I purchased off ebay last weekend and it works a treat :)

I am also building a pretty beefy bench for it as well as leaving room to add an X2 milling machine...

IMG_0052_small.jpg

IMG_0054_small.jpg

toolholder_small.jpg

steamer said:
Picture013.jpg

The 12" Logan turning gear blanks. Former trade school machine with few miles on her. Made a #2-126 tap on it for a friend of mines Model engine carb once by single point.

Picture007.jpg

Dave

Dave - you've got my lathe!!

I've been looking for a Logan Powermatic ever since I got my MVN mill.
It really needs a proper mate. also looking for a PM drillpress to match.

Hey 1911!

OK so you used to own MY lathe?, or you want to buy my lathe? or You have a lathe just like mine?
;D

Dave

I want a lathe just like yours - Logan Powermatic by Houdaille - to match my mill.
I'm envious ;D

I have a shop full of lathes right now, and I'm about to clean house. If a Logan Powermatic shows up soon, I'll buy it.
Otherwise I'll order a new Asian lathe to be named later.

Cool! I've grown to really like the Logan Powermatic. It has a few quirks....but is generally a pretty good lathe!

Dave

Laundrew said:
My "new-to-me" Monarch 10EE

That's a pretty early one, pre-40's unless I miss my guess. Might be (or have been) one of the original hydraulic drives from Sunstrand.

I rebuilt a '56 including grinding the bed and refitting everything on top, I think it came out OK:

10ee_with_cabinet.jpg

rkepler said:
That's a pretty early one, pre-40's unless I miss my guess. Might be (or have been) one of the original hydraulic drives from Sunstrand.

Greetings,

1942 model with the DC motor/generator combination. I am going to upgrade the drive system to a 3 phase motor - VFD system. Nice Monarch you have there :bow:

Be well...

Spin Doctor said:
Well, there's a Jet 9x20 (we all know what they look like. An Elgin split bed turret lathe that I plan on using for a small wood lathe. IMO most wood lathes spindles are POS. Then I have my "project" lathe. A PM 1027 that I am going to modify substancially. New spindle with integral 5C collets, reversing dog clutch system, quick retract on the compound, electronically variable feeds and a number of other things. Right now the headstock is off and the rest of the lathe tore down for moving. A Hardinge or Monarch it ain't but then I don't think I could get a 10EE in the basement

The Elgin on moving day

MVC-003F.jpg

The "project" lathe prior to removing the spindle

MVC-003F.jpg

Hi Picked this Link on a browse through "Show us you lathe" An old thread for sure. Looking at the picture of Your 10 x 27 project lathe it looks to be identical to mine. I got stuck into modifying it and have had a lot of satisfaction doing it. now to bore you with the mods done.
Motor replaced with "Baldor 1 H.P D C with Variable Speed Kb Electronic Controler KBCCR at 180 volt dc
Poly Vee belt drive with motor mounted under the bed

Recirculating Oil Pump with Filter feeding to fabricated oil gallery in the gear box lid (Perspex 2 Sheets with galley milled into Lower one and drilled to spray oil to all bearings and gears screwed and glued together)

Runs very quietly and smoothly. No chattering Single Phase Motor and flood lubrication a vast improvement.

Rev Counter (Bicycle Computer Programmed to 167 cm circumference) Magnet Trip on lathe spindle will read to 3000 RPM

QCTP and Toolholders

Ball bearing cross slide and top slide. All jib adjusting screws with 3 mm ball bearing at the end of screw to push on jib
Makes for a smooth operation

Cam Lock Tailstock. All hand wheels balanced

Lead screw with Variable speed drive from Gearhead DC motor 10 mm a minute to 55 mm minute advance or driven from spindle for screw cutting.
Stop yawning I am finished for now

Hello Velocette

MZ made better motorbikes.
Apart from this PLEASE let us se some pictures of Your modifications

The Poly V transformation and electric leadscrew-drive are interesting .
I use Powertwist V belt and it is very good but the washing maschine uses poly and it is even less noise.
There is a picture of worlds best motorbike at end on

http://oldwww.iet.aau.dk/sec2/junkers.htm

Kind regards

Niels

Hi Niels 10:30 pm Local time Pictures later Need sleep and Bit of a tidy up Also having a problem with Exceeding My Quota with Internet Service Provider

Eric (velocette)

Florian said:
On page 25 of this thread, i was showing some pictures of the restoration of my lathe.

Now i have completed all the (little) jobs that still needed to be done and the result is:

DSC04309.JPG

Here you can see the guideqay guards; they are very useful because the chips will not fall on the guides and stick on the oil..:

Oh and the lathe is a Schaublin 102 VM, a Swiss precision toolroom-lathe (as it is called in the manual ;D )

Florian

those old schaublins are very hard to beat by any manufactorer if it comes to lathes. I love how you restore it. now tell me where you live and when nobody is at home so i can come and take it :p:p

This is my modifications to a 10 X 27 lathe Please bear with me if I repeat from a previous Quote from "Spin Doctor"

Hi Picked this Link on a browse through "Show us you lathe" An old thread for sure. Looking at the picture of Your 10 x 27 project lathe it looks to be identical to mine. I got stuck into modifying it and have had a lot of satisfaction doing it. now to bore you with the mods done.
Motor replaced with "Baldor 1 H.P D C with Variable Speed Kb Electronic Controler KBCCR at 180 volt dc
Poly Vee belt drive with motor mounted under the bed

Recirculating Oil Pump with Filter feeding to fabricated oil gallery in the gear box lid (Perspex 2 Sheets with galley milled into Lower one and drilled to spray oil to all bearings and gears screwed and glued together)

Runs very quietly and smoothly. No chattering Single Phase Motor and flood lubrication a vast improvement.

Rev Counter (Bicycle Computer Programmed to 167 cm circumference) Magnet Trip on lathe spindle will read to 3000 RPM

QCTP and Toolholders

Ball bearing cross slide and top slide. All jib adjusting screws with 3 mm ball bearing at the end of screw to push on jib
Makes for a smooth operation

Cam Lock Tailstock. All hand wheels balanced

Lead screw with Variable speed drive from Gearhead DC motor 10 mm a minute to 55 mm minute advance or driven from spindle for screw cutting.
Stop yawning I am finished for now
Request for Photos here goes

dscf9610.jpg

dscf9611.jpg

dscf9612.jpg

dscf9615.jpg

I picked up this lathe because of it's capacity and it is in good nik.,
back.jpg

dirtymicroswitch.jpg

saddlegears.jpg

[imghttp://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff381/cd600/lathe/saddlegears.jpg]http://[/img]
latheapron.jpg

Latest posts

Back