Show us your hands! Hands up!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mosey

Reaction score
I noticed some people include their hands in their build photos. So, like me, you might also be curious to see peoples hands. Show us how clean they are. Do you wear rubber gloves to keep the oil off? Or, show us how ripped up and black with oil like Steve's they are.

I once had to show my hands to prove to fellow marine engineers that I was the real deal in a bar discussion. I also had a cab driver simply state that my profession was a mechanic which was correct so I had to ask how he knew his answer was my hands.

Now that I am retired I am a bit more gentle on my hands but I never wear gloves except for hot work and not always even then. If I use gloves for hot work they have to be loose fitting so I can straighten my fingers and fling them off across the shop. I have had to do exactly that at least once and the time before is where I got the concept.

GrabIron-SilverSolder02-Left.jpg

Dan

Quite a few years ago when my daughters were about 8-10-12 we went on vacation for a week. At the end of the week my oldest daughter remarked with amazement "Look, dad's hands are clean". I owned and operated a metal fabricating shop and seldom wore gloves so my hands were always dry and dirt impregnated. I am now retired but my hobby still keeps my hands looking less than pristine.

Mosey said:
A picture is worth a thousand words!

ah, but that was only 71 words. so he only owes us 7.1% of a picture?

Mosey said:
show us how ripped up and black with oil like Steve's they are.

You know I usually ignore threads like this but seeing who started the thread I thought I would take a peek. Then I read this and I had to laugh. Mosey! Are you talking about mine!! I would hope my hands are not so bad that they would warrent a thread. Say it isn't so!!!

:big: :big: :big: :big: :big: :big: :big: :big:

Hard work is nothing to be ashamed of...we've already seen em! Awesome to think that they are the ones behind such delicate work.

If I'm not mistaken, Leonardo DaVinci made some complex machines with numerous wooden gears, escapements, etc. Yours look pretty neat to me. And I think there were some mechanisms made that functioned like early computors, made of wood, with terribly complex gear trains. Go for it.

Reminds me of something that happened when I was in college. A classmate (call him Bill) had wrangled a date with a local high school honey. Bill went to her house to pick her up and got invited in to face a grilling by her highly suspicious father about Bill's motives in seeing his daughter. At one point the father barked out, "Let me see your hands!" Bill held out his hands. The father examined them carefully and said with contempt and disgust, "You've never done a day's work in your life!" I guess things went downhill pretty fast after that.

As for my hands...I had to take two pictures, left and right, since I had to use one hand for the camera. They don't look too beat up today.

Hands.jpg

I have been out of the professional machinist's career for awhile now so my hands
look less weathered now. They do still carry the scars of having worked in the trade.

Left hand tells two stories.

LeftHnad.jpg

The middle finger has a crooked fingernail and a scar back to the first knuckle.
It was crushed in a machine and split open back to that first knuckle.
When they stitched it up a stitch went through the root of the fingernail damaging
it for life.

The ring finger has a spot on the end of it with no fingerprint ridges.
That was the result of momentary contact with a sharp rotating edge part.
I thought I had been burnt until I saw my finger tip sticking on the vertical ways
of the machine. I had clipped it off to the tip of the bone but it grew back.

The right hand isn't quite as dramatic.

RightHand.jpg

Middle finger, second knuckle has a straight scar on it.
That was the result of a stringer chip whipping out of the machine.
It hit and again I thought I had been burnt. When I gathered the courage to look
at it, I bent the knuckle and got a first view of a living knuckle joint.

But the pay way great! ::)

Rick

Mosey said:
If I'm not mistaken, Leonardo DaVinci made some complex machines with numerous wooden gears, escapements, etc. Yours look pretty neat to me. And I think there were some mechanisms made that functioned like early computors, made of wood, with terribly complex gear trains. Go for it.

I tried to make some elliptical gears for fun but my print out had an anonymity with the x y aspect ratio so they did not work,

OK

I tend to show my left....here it is in an unusual state...clean.
P8030135.jpg

Here it is a bit more in its natural state.....
P7100022.jpg

Dave

Shortened fingers (left index met bandsaw) and scars far to numerous to describe .....

I'm sitting here with my right hand wrapped in an icepack. Last night I put a tiny screwdriver blade far enough into the palm of my hand to stop at the bones on the other side. Today the orthopod gave me some antibiotic and said keep it up in the air and it will heal. Ouch!
Tonight i will cut out my fan blades.

Latest posts

Back