Show us your hands! Hands up!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My father nipped his finger in a big steel gate
For 40 years he had a finger nail that grew split and crooked
He acidently cut his finger just in front of the first nuckle down to the bone
When this healed up his finger nail grew perfect again
Clever thing this body of ours
John

It was about maybe 1/8"....just past the knuckle before the tip...missed everything but the bone...which healed but a bit shorter than it's brother on the other hand.....that'll learn ya to not play with a bandsaw when Dad said not too!... ;D ahh misspent youth.

Dave

My Dad, the millworker, had 8-1/2 fingers. The middle one stopped at the where the last digit was supposed to be. (The big jointer) His buddy the Doctor, took the flap of skin where the joint was supposed to be, and laid it back over the stub, making a nice, smooth rounded tip. Just a little shorter than :eek:regular.
And the index finger came to a point. He called it the "NP". (the nose picker). The jointer again.

Well lucky for me it has not caused me anything lost I don't even know it of course 35 years have passed

Dave

Mosey said:
I'm sitting here with my right hand wrapped in an icepack. Last night I put a tiny screwdriver blade far enough into the palm of my hand to stop at the bones on the other side. Today the orthopod gave me some antibiotic and said keep it up in the air and it will heal. Ouch!
Tonight i will cut out my fan blades.

I hope your feeling better Mosey!

Dave

tap%252520holes%252520001.jpg

When I first started in the trade, at an aircraft part production facility, I drove my right middle finger into the band saw blade.

I would weld up a coarse pitch blade for sawing aluminum. If I left it in there, a sheet metal guy would come along and shove his .030 stock through there and blissfully strip all of the teeth and continue to friction saw his part through and walk away.

I was working graveyard shift (on a G-job) and was so annoyed by the ruined blade that I also pushed hard on my stock until it broke through and I punched the blade with my right hand.

Luckily my finger was vertical, horizontal and it would have been gone. 18 stitches, 3 in the tendon. It took a long time and still aches in the winter, but I have nearly 100% mobility. Just a different ring size.

Would you believe I was making a pair of brass knuckles!! What a stupid punk.

steamer said:
I hope your feeling better Mosey!

Dave
Thanks. It is still sore and the fingers don't like to bend, the back of my hand looks like a potato, but I'm getting some use out of it now.

Would you believe I was making a pair of brass knuckles!! What a stupid punk.

I'd a made the same thing if I could have found some brass! ... :big:

There are some benefits of age isn't there... ::)

Glad to hear your feeling a bit better Mosey!

Dave

I'd a made the same thing if I could have found some brass! ... big laugh

There are some benefits of age isn't there... Roll Eyes

You ain't kidding! I couldn't find any brass either, they were aluminum, 7075 mind you ;)

I forgot to mention, after the stupidity occurred, I knew it was bad. I shut down the machine, dusted it off, dropped the project in my pocket and applied pressure.

I headed over to a co-worker and said "Hey check this out" I opened my hand and there was this gaping wound.

Well he went completely white and keeled over backwards, and cracked his head.

Now there were 2 of us heading to the hospital...

What a fool... ::)

My right hand isn't worth looking at due to an accident to my shoulder which left it partially paralysed, and because I can't do any machining at the moment, I have to use my left hand for other things

This is Bandit's new apprentice, Turpin, a 'tea cup' smooth haired Jack Russell. He is well forwards for his age of six weeks today, fully paper trained and eating everything he can can his gnashers around, pushing both Bandit and Vinnie the mog out of their feeding bowls, and has the temperament of a Rottweiler.

Turpin3.jpg

John

Cute Puppy Bogs!

My hands are quite small really ...

IMGP0883.jpg

Vic.

Very sorry, it's about all I can come up with at the moment. Bandit used to be a constant workmate in my shop, but I can't get anything done at the moment to show anyone anything.

So I am just keeping the brain cell working in the hope I can eventually return to making things.

John

Hmmm.... didn't have any pics handy, but I accidentally shot one today - I'm in worse shape than I thought!

Those are the hands of a working Aussie! ;D

Thanks for posting that Tel. That speaks volumes.

Not just a Hand!

A knife
"video"

A nail holder
"video"

A wrench
DSC00100.jpg

;D 1hand Matt

Matt-

You have some cool gadgets there.
Great ideas.

Tel-
You need a hand-lift. Get to the nearest plastic surgeon.

Hey Matt,

At the risk of sounding insensitive...But I've known you longer than that...That's (#&(&^ Cool! ;D

I like the gadgets!

Dave

Latest posts

Back