Seal in Cat

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlanS

Reaction score
Here’s a work in progress picture of test fitting a Seal Major engine in a model of a Caterpillar Sixty crawler tractor. This is not the final engine but an interim power plant to test the operation of the controls and transmission in the Cat.

Now I know the relationship between engine and radiator I can start to design and build a support in the style of late 1920s Caterpillar, this will also support a protection sleeve for the starting dog, in case a kick out punches a hole in the bottom of the radiator.

There are several design changes incorporated in the Seal Major. The accessory drive is across the front of the engine similar to gasoline Caterpillar practice, the cooling water pump and distributor being located on the opposite of the engine from this image. The flywheel incorporates a conical surface for the main clutch and the crankshaft is supported in sealed ball bearings.

The exhaust silencer has a perforated tube inside, it’ll look better in matt black exhaust paint.

Seal engine test fit.jpg

That crawler chassis looks pretty awesome. Do you have any other pictures of the build? Anything next to it for scale?

Here’s a work in progress picture of test fitting a Seal Major engine in a model of a Caterpillar Sixty crawler tractor. This is not the final engine but an interim power plant to test the operation of the controls and transmission in the Cat.

Now I know the relationship between engine and radiator I can start to design and build a support in the style of late 1920s Caterpillar, this will also support a protection sleeve for the starting dog, in case a kick out punches a hole in the bottom of the radiator.

There are several design changes incorporated in the Seal Major. The accessory drive is across the front of the engine similar to gasoline Caterpillar practice, the cooling water pump and distributor being located on the opposite of the engine from this image. The flywheel incorporates a conical surface for the main clutch and the crankshaft is supported in sealed ball bearings.

The exhaust silencer has a perforated tube inside, it’ll look better in matt black exhaust paint.
This is really amazing. Are there any plans for this track system, or a similar track system? Or did you have to make it all by yourself.
Are the single plates bolted to the chain with 4 nuts and bolts? 30x4x2 nuts and bolts?

That crawler chassis looks pretty awesome. Do you have any other pictures of the build? Anything next to it for scale?
Here’s another shot with an item for scale, the ubiquitous 0-1 micrometer.
I have literally hundreds of images of this build, I took more on this model than any other before or since.
IMG_0775.jpeg

This is really amazing. Are there any plans for this track system, or a similar track system? Or did you have to make it all by yourself.
Are the single plates bolted to the chain with 4 nuts and bolts? 30x4x2 nuts and bolts?
I have some sketches of track components but no formal plans. Making two sets of tracks was what drew me to a model crawler, in particular the jigs and fixtures I’d to make to produce the parts. The parts were all made on conventional machine tools and to keep my round column mill cutting I made some loading fixtures so I could line up a part while the mill was making chips.
The track pads are all bolted into the track chains which have square holes broached in them. I squeezed as much enjoyment out of what could be a tedious job.

WOW! Beautiful work. Would love to see lots more pics of this build.Why the missing head bolt?
The manifold bolt is missing because I lost it last time I had the engine stripped down for revisions to the crankshaft. I haven’t got around to making a replacement. I have spare domed head nuts so it isn’t a big deal making the #5-40 body. The manifold isn’t under compression so I’m not worried about leaks. I’m currently making support brackets for the radiator, making them look like castings in the process of milling them from steel bar, more fun than bolts.

Here's another build picture, this one is boring the crankshaft openings in the Seal Major crankcase casting. This is the main reason I added a T slot cross slide to my lathe, turns it into a horizontal boring machine. As you'll see the lathe has had a lot of additions made for ease of operation, not so obvious is the countershaft clutch. Three of my machines have clutches added. I used the same T slot cross slide setup to bore the camshaft tunnel and bearing seats.

Attachments

• boring crankcase (1).JPG
    boring crankcase (1).JPG
    891.5 KB · Views: 0
Alan, looks like you have made some interesting tailstock modifications, can you describe them?
The biggest change was the rack and pinion feed. Much faster for peck drilling and way more sensitive for small drills, smallest so far has been number 70.
The rack housing almost doubles the contact length of the spindle, convenient ejector at the end. It also has a lever lock to the bed, no more fiddling with a wrench.
I incorporated a feed dial into the rack feed, since it’s a DP rack this can only be an approximation.

Please keep sharing your work! Very inspiring!
Here’s a picture of what I’ve been working on for the last few weeks. Cat Sixty gas tank, the tank mounts and the fittings. There are four fittings, on top the filler and a vent, underneath a drain cock and the fuel shut off cock. There’s a baffle in the tank, 60% is for fuel and the remaining space to hide the ignition module.
The tank is rolled from a sheet of 1/16” brass, all joints silver soldered.

Attachments

• IMG_0800.jpeg
    IMG_0800.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Back