Scuderi engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well, yesterday I made the spark plug per gbritnell's instructions
so, there aren't pics of that, it's worth to see the original one (gbritnell's thread) :D

the spark plug isn't finished jet and the pic is bad, but here it is

spark1.jpg

but I'm here also to post a question
at this point I have a coil with capacitor and points, these:

spark2.jpg

I thinked to connect a 6V battery to the coil (it has 2 plugs + the high voltage one) and then connect the other plug to ground with the points between (and the condenser too)

something like this:

coiltest.gif

but the label on the coil reads that it's an AC coil (alternate current)
so, what can I do? is it possible to connect it to a battery (DC current) or not?

I have another 6V coil too, more recent that the old one that is up, but it has 4 wires + ground + high voltage, so there aren't possibilities for me to know how it can be connected :-\

angle11.jpg

any thought? thank you

nice work, looking forward to seeing it run ;D
goofy063

Ariz,

Your diagram looks fine to me. Stupid question but are you sure AC is not the make of the coil? Surely it's a car coil so should just run off a battery, a car alternator must produce a dc surely despite the name?! Am a bit confused myself now!

I'm 99% sure that coil will work. Can't help you on the smaller modern one though

Nick

Ariz,
I think the others probably have it right that the AC is part of the brand name or part number.

The Test lamp in your circuit may give you a problem. When the points open the collapsing magnetic field of the coil will charge the capacitor to about 400 volts. Then this 400 volt discharge through the coil is what gives you the high voltage. The test lamp may load the 400 volt build up enough that you will not get the desired high voltage or if it is a LED+resistor the LED will probably get destroyed.

Gail in NM

well, I have almost finished the engine, the only missing part is the ignition system

here there are some pics

scuderi02.jpg

scuderi04.jpg

scuderi07.jpg

scuderi09.jpg

scuderi10.jpg

scuderi11.jpg

scuderi12.jpg

scuderi13.jpg

scuderi14.jpg

I tried to mount the coil and buttons that I had, but they didn't worked
now I have bought an ignition system from hemingway kit: it has an hall effect sensor and a little circuit board that amplifies the signal of the sensor and triggers the coil
but it isn't arrived yet, so I'm stopped now
as soon as the ignition system arrives I'll try the engine to see if it runs or not...

Ariz,

Looks superb. :bow:

How long to the running video. ???

Best Regards
Bob

It looks terrific, Ariz. A very good contrast between the different metals, not to mention an interesting design.
Here's hoping you have a runner soon!

Dean

Ariz,
That is beautiful! I love the timing belt!

Can't wait to see it run.

Sean

I have to agree that is beautiful :bow:
Can't wait to see it running.

thank you mates, I too am impatient to see if it runs or not

Jan Ridders, the designer of the engine, says that there are several critical points to observe in the timing sequence and also the spark has to occour in a very narrow range

the scuderi isn't really a four stroke engine, because the spark occours every revolution, like in a two stroke engine
but it has inlet and exhaust valves like a four stroke
it is a three stroke engine :big:

however, I'm waiting for the kit to arrive from 'hemingway kits', GB
after having paid I received only an email that confirmed the payment, nothing about the time of delivery and so on :-\

Great work ariz. And I've also been very impressed with your photography all during your build. Nicely done. We're all looking forward to the video.

Rudy

That looks really fine, Ariz. I've been following along, and am anxious to see it running too!

Cheers, Joe

I'm in a hurry, but I want to report the kindly behavior of Kirk Burwell of Hemingway kits

the ignition kit that I ordered some days ago arrived this morning, and in the afternoon I started to assemble the kit

for some unknown reason (@#&!ç*) I broke the hall effect sensor and so I emailed to Kirk to order a new one

he has replyed that he will send a replacement sensor tomorrow and that no money is required! :)

I'm very happy with this vendor now and wanted to let you know it (excuse my english, it's late and I'm tired)

Thanks for letting us know about Mr. Burwell's good service, Ariz.
By the way, you don't need to make any apologies for your English!

Dean

Ariz,
Very Very Nice
I can't wait for the vid either :bow: :bow: :bow:

Tony

Ariz,

Sounds like you got good service from there. Good luck with the kit this time. Do you need to use a heat sink when soldering the sensor etc?

Nick

ps can't wait to see this running either!

Back