Scale question

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jixxerbill

Reaction score
What would be the scale of the odds n ends hit miss engine ? I have looked at the plans and it doesn't really say.. I'm just wondering because of an idea in my brain..Thanks ..Bill

the term scale simply mean the ratio of the original artifact to the representation of that artifact. so a !/8 scale model is 1/8 the size ( linear ) measurement of the original engine. I expect the odds and ends engine was just built for the sake of building the engine and does not necessarily represent a real engine therefor lack of scale reference.

Drawings are also scaled and I would expect in the case of village press that the drawings may be in different scales depending on the part. something large like a fly wheel may be 1/2 scale while something small like a bushing may be 2x and other parts may be full scale.

it is easy to figure out measure the part or dimension compare with the measurement given and simple math will give you scale.

I was tempted to refer you to NIST handbook 44 section 2 . But that is a different scale Weighing devices) .
Tin

I'm familiar with what scale means but I thought maybe someone would know if the engine was like 1/2 scale of a 5 hp of yesteryear or maybe 1/2 scale of a 10 hp ?? just curious is all... A friend of mine has a bunch of these full size ill try and get to his house and do some measuring on them and then I can answer this for everyone to know..Bill

Here is a breif description of a scale john deer engine no reference or connection to the odds and ends

"This is a 3/10 scale model of John Deere, Model E, 1-1/2 HP, spark plug gasoline engine. Machinist kit includes 200 page step by step instructions, 124 drawings and 947 close up photographs of machine set ups."
The completed engine has a 1.050" bore, 1.350" stroke, and 5.400" dia. flywheel. The overall dimensions are approximately 9"L x 6¼"W x 5½"H

does this heelp?
Tin

The 5" flywheels would place it at about 1/6scale of a 5hp Galloway. But maybe 1/2scale of a thom thumb, really depends on the prototype

J

Phillip Duclos, who designed the engine says in his book that it is not a scaled down version of any particular engine, but is representative of many of them. It has a 1" bore and a 1 3/8" stroke with 5" diameter flywheels. So, depending on what you pick, you can develop a ratio or "scale" from any larger hit and miss engine by comparing piston diameter or by flywheel diameter. ----Brian

The 5" flywheels would place it at about 1/6scale of a 5hp Galloway. But maybe 1/2scale of a thom thumb, really depends on the prototype

J

Excellent work.. Thanks.. I had never thought about the flywheel for guessing at the scale.. I was just wanting to get close so I could scale down something else to look realistic..Thanks again..Bill

Many in the IC engines you can admire here are not scaled down, they are plain working engines just small or very small ! physics (sparks etc...) cannot be scaled down.

Back