Saving references...

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeeprogrammer

Reaction score
Is there a way to mark a post or organize the various excellent tid bits I find such that I can get back to it (like bookmarks on yahoo?)?

Or do I need to copy from forum and paste into some document of my own?

I find some great stuff and worry I can't find it again.

Is there a way to list all posts/replies in the last (variable) time period. For example, list all posts in the last 24 hours? Or last week?

The new replies since last visit feature is great but I don't always have time to get through it all...the next time I visit...they're gone. (I'm so addicted...I read this as I have my morning coffee before work...during lunch at work...as soon as I get home...and before bedtime). I'm sure this will slow down over time...else I'll get nothing done...and I'm in this to cut metal.

Thanks.

zee,
Just save it as a regular bookmark in your browser. That's what I do for projects or tips that I find I'd like to reference in the future.

Kevin

Z
Do as ksouers says then rename the bookmark to something more
pertinent like "Firebirds vertical boiler" .
BR

PS. Pertinent is that the word I wanted? :-\

Kevin, Thanks. Tried it and works fine. I notice you're in St. Charles, MO. I was born in Neosho. High school in Waynesville. Met my lovely in Springfield. Did some schooling in Columbia. I still call Springfield my hometown even though I've only spent 16 of my 55 years in MO. (16 years total...moved in/out 3 times.) Are you native to Missouri? Or are you in the Missoura crowd? I don't know if I can say I'm native...even though born there, Dad was military and I spent most of my wonder years overseas. 1st generation German on Mom's side...and because of time spent there and relatives...have a special feeling for it...but there's lots of Germans in central MO...rambling now...

BR...good tip on renaming. That will help a lot. Pertinent...works for me...shorter than...'change it to something I'll remember'.

Dave...looked at the thread. Good. But I have to say...needs lots more. But putting a library together is a lot of work. You're choosing between teaching and building. That's a hard choice that has to be balanced. I'm the mentor (aka grayback) at work...highly satisfying...but I like to program too.

Thanks all.

zee,
Yep, native Missourian. Born and raised in St Louis County. Now live just across the "ditch" from it. And, no I do not pronounce it Missourah.

I've traveled all across this great land of ours. Been in every state cept Hawaii, Nevada and Montana. Been through Neosho many times down highway 71. And Springfield and Joplin.

Zee,

Understood. The intent of the thread was not to have me teach per say, but for all of us "graybacks" to contribute. Everyone of us. No territory here.

A couple of decades ago I was at a complete loss on how to make a crankshaft. A Graybeard then explained it to me personally.....no internet. I was floored at how really it is pretty simple, if not tedious. It was tough, as those learning opportunities
were few and far between. With todays technology, it should be easier than ever to get to the info you need..

Just trying to give back a bit.....It'll grow fast if we all contribute.
Have fun!

Dave

No, no! Nothing negative! Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I have a very bad habit of using 'you' in the royal sense.
Or rather a worse habit of beginning a talk to a specific person (I started with your name) and changing to general audience. By the time I got to 'You're choosing between'...I'm sorry to say I wasn't really speaking to you. I was actually speaking about myself or people in general.

I'll watch that. And thanks.

One more thing...

Poor choice of words on my part...

Graybeard is the proper one...I did mean to refer to 'wisdom/knowledge/experience'.

Grayback implies territory but not necessarily 'wisdom/knowledge/experience'.

They use the term 'grayback' at work...I shall now proceed to walk my territory and 'correct' them.

I don't know if you meant to point that out to me...but thanks.

No Worries Zee.....no slights taken!

Or implied either!.... ;D

....and as to on my back or my beard....er eh mustache.....I earned every gray hair...... ;D

Again....no worries mate. Have fun with it.

Dave

On reflection it is just as easy to drag the address bar onto
your desktop. This way you don't even have to open your browser,
just one click and the browser opens on the correct page.
BR

BobWarfield said:
I use Delicious for this purpose.

Looked interesting. I was surprised. When you say 'your' bookmarks...I assumed you meant bookmarks you put up...and I wouldn't actually see them. I was expecting 'Delicious' to ask me to create an account (which it might have but I immediately started viewing the goodies). Are bookmarks one posts viewable by anyone?

Any fear that the site has problems and you can't get to the bookmarks?

Thanks.

I use OneNote from Microsoft. You can buy it as a stand alone program or with the truly awful Office 2007. I love OneNote ( but hate the UI on the newer Excel & Word.) Not only can you copy, paste & save web site contents but you can then highlight, bold, underline, format it to your heart's desire. A really unsung great program in my mind.

You can get a 60 day free trial from Microsoft.
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/onenote/default.aspx

Latest posts

Back