Same old Question: Anyone know where to find "Single cylinder IC plans?"

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlakeMcKee

Reaction score
Hi. First time engine builder. Looking to start simple and small, want to start out with a single cylinder IC engine... gonna use the piston from a nitro engine and glow plugs... and I'm looking for maybe some purchasable or freely available plans to build one. This will be my first time machining anything. I will be purchasing a lathe after Christmas, the most expensive holiday of the year! Was also considering buy a lathe/mill combo (Found one for about 700 bucks, any insight on that?). For some weird reason, I can't find an interest for any steam engine... Fuel gets me more excited.. :). Thanks for helping!

Check in the download section - I uploaded a .60 size 2 stroke - plans are not perfect, but you ought to be able to adjust a few tenths for clearance and have it work. I designed it for student in a one semester intro to machine shop course while I was a college. Its the engine in my avatar picture.

The download section has PDF and DXF files to download

The last two issues of Model Engine Builder magazine contain plans and a how-to article for an IC model airplane engine. http://www.modelenginebuilder.com/issuetwentytwo.htm

You can search on here for lathe/mill combo as it's been discussed frequently. The general take on it is to buy separate units for a variety of reasons but primarily it's because tearing down and setting up gets old fast when going between milling and turning a workpiece. There are those who have the combo units and are quite happy with them however. For slightly more than $700 you can buy a mill and lathe separately as long as you aren't looking for best-in-class.

Wow there is so much useful information in the downloads section! Thank you to whom ever started this forum and for the people supporting it. This is by far the most active forum I have found.

Blake,
If you have not found it yet, there is a index to the downloads as an attachment to the first post of the "Plans" section of the forum. Makes peeking around the downloads easier.
And Welcome to HMEM.
Gail in NM

Thank you for the welcome, and Brian thank you for the link and btw very nice work. Since it will be my first time machining and building MICE's, I'm gonna keep it simple! :). Maybe my second project? The wonderful project that inspired me to want to learn and really study this hobby so that in hopes of one day, I'll be able to build the Howell V-four. Trying to start small with 2 stroke though and work my way up! The way I see it, I'm 21. I've a lot of years to learn, study, and learn some more to build something spectacular.

Latest posts

Back