Saf-Toy Power Unit No. 2 Rehab

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Paso_Kid

Reaction score
I picked up this vintage Saf-Toy Power Unit No. 2 that is in need of some serious TLC. The paint is chipping and it is missing its "boiler" (air reservoir) and the piston no longer pumps air so I'll have to replace the leather gasket. I'm calling this a rehabilitation as I have no idea if I'll ever locate an original boiler for it to qualify as a restoration. I've got an old Weeden boiler that I'm thinking about using as a replacement.

Item #165g.jpg

As this is not a full-on restoration. I did not try to match the original paint colors but went with some colors I already had on-hand. I left the electric motor housing red and instead of a grey for the base I went for a metallic blue and other parts a metallic silver. Just can't wait for the paint to dry so that I can start reassembling this toy.

IMG_2016.jpg

Here it is painted and reassembled. Unfortunately when I went to test the pump the electric motor did not have enough torque to drive the new piston and leather gasket I made to replace the old worn out one. Not sure if the electric motor needs work or not. One picture shows it with the Weeden boiler I an considering using as a replacement to the missing original.

IMG_2019.jpg

IMG_2020.jpg

Latest posts

Back