Sacred tools

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve, I had a similar experience but with happier endings at the time.

I used to be a partner in a truck garage with a guy and his son who was just a bit younger than me.
In 1990 we decided to pack it in as the Guy was retiring and he owned the property, it would have meant Steve and myself having to take a big bank loan to buy him out with a business that was receding daily.

It was a very amicable split up, the old man wanted very little, his tools a few bit, bench grinder and trolley jack.
Steve was staying in the game and had a new position with a truck leasing company, I decided I'd had enough and went to pull back into engineering as I'd been running a small shop part time for a few years so the split of assets was easy.
I had the lathe, compressor, drill and a few more bits, Steve had all the big sockets and a lot of the tooling.

I had tool boxes full of personal tools that was wasn't liable to use again, swivel sockets, crow foot spanners, pipe spanners and many special tools.
I upended by tool boxes on the floor, [ they needed a good sort out anyway ] told Steve to make a pile of anything he wanted and if I wanted it more I'd put it back in my boxes when I sorted out.

He made a big pile of all the nice gear ;) I removed very little of it when I tidied up. That felt good.

Ironically the boxes are still on the floor in the back plate virtually untouched since 1990 as most of the machines have their own rack of tools and there is a rack of common ones over the bench. I could have just walked away from them.

But getting serious when we had the garage I used to have to work at a quarry on the dump trucks, mainly on electrical work as their fitter wasn't too hot on this, Older guy, really nice and we got on well together, he had this set of crimping pliers that were magic. Long strong handles, well made and with plastic covered handles, one red, one black, a play on positive - negative ? far better than my cheap pressed steel pair which was all we seemed to be able to get.

One day he fell ill and had to pack up work and he gave me the pliers, shortly after that he died. Every time I used those pliers I thought of him. Then one day I had my truck broken into and two toolboxes stolen full of tools, hundreds and hundreds of pounds of uninsured tools [ can't insure toolboxes in trucks here unless you pay very serious money ]

Out of the contents of two tool boxes full all I can remember are the crimping pliers.

I have a bench vice that was my grandads and use it alot, I also have a number of other tools that were his I use some of them but the others are just kept hold of by me to remember him by, its strange he was a macanic and he would come home from work smelling of oil and grease, the tools I dont use are in a canvers like bag and they all smell just like he did :big:

I also have some very old wood plains that a old man gave me they are all made of wood like they used to be, and i keep them safe as I thought it was very nice of him. :)

I have a few special tools but two come to mind as the most special.

My watch makers lathe that my grandfather gave me when I was 13 that was my great grandfathers and my jewellers hacksaw that was my grandfathers that I asked if I could have when I was helping sorting out his workshop after his funeral in 2001. At that point I didn't even know how to make jewellery but I knew I would use it.
It has since been used on every bit of jewellery I've ever made and wouldn't ever part with it.

I have too many tools that mean something to even fit in a post, so I'll just tell one story...When I worked at the JD dealer there was a machine shop in the neighborhood that we used for facing flywheels & any other general machine work. It was run by 2 old Okies, one was a machinist & the other a welder, & they both loved their beer...more about that some other time... ;) Anyhow, after they had retired & closed the shop, & I had gone out on my own fixing tractors, there was an ad one day in the paper for a Starrett 6-12" micrometer...I was interested, so I called. After talking a few minutes, the guy asked, "Is this Ron from John Deere?" I said it was, & he said "This is Jim from Big J machine." So, I went out to his house, & realized the booze was taking its toll on him, & he was selling off his tools, but we had a good talk. He had worked in the defense plants in California, & had forgotten more than I'll ever know about the machinist trade...He was asking $100 for the mike, which I thought was reasonable enough, so I brought out the cash. He took it, & handed me back $10...said, "Since it's you, I know you'll use it & take care of it, so $90 is enough". I protested, saying that was too cheap, but he wouldn't hear of it...Truthfully, I haven't used that big ol' mike much, but it is one of my favorite tools, pristine condition in a wood case, & a reminder of a good ol' boy who could run a lathe better half sloshed than most guys ever could sober...

You are not going to believe this but it is honestly true.
Got a phone call last night from the wife of a friend of a friend etc who knows I'm into engineering.
Well hubby has buggered off to live with another women down south and she's clearing all his tools out.

Now this is the classic case of "Sell my tools / car/ plane etc and send me 1/2 the money" so the wife sell his priceless car etc for 10 quid and sends him 5. That spoof has been going round for years and 'everyone' knows someone who knows someone who has bought the car etc

Well this one is slightly different, she doesn't want anything for this lot and he's not getting anything, it's just a clearance.
Now I could post that there are priceless tools, monarch lathe etc but vaguely knowing this guy from years ago i think it will be a clapped out Black and Decker drill and a box of screws who knows but I'm not getting excited.

I have tools that belonged to my grandfather and father but one that means the most to me is a tool that my mother used. Probably never having been 50 miles from home, she packed up and went halfway across the country to Seattle to work for Boeing during the war. Being of smaller stature she worked in the fuselage section where the tail joined on B17's and B29's. The tool is a bucking bar for rivets. Just a steel rectangle with a hole and a couple wide grooves it could easily go unnoticed. Every time I see films of these planes coming back shot full of holes I think of this and remember my mother.

John Stevenson said:
You are not going to believe this but it is honestly true.
Got a phone call last night from the wife of a friend of a friend etc who knows I'm into engineering.
Well hubby has buggered off to live with another women down south and she's clearing all his tools out.

Now this is the classic case of "Sell my tools / car/ plane etc and send me 1/2 the money" so the wife sell his priceless car etc for 10 quid and sends him 5. That spoof has been going round for years and 'everyone' knows someone who knows someone who has bought the car etc

Well this one is slightly different, she doesn't want anything for this lot and he's not getting anything, it's just a clearance.
Now I could post that there are priceless tools, monarch lathe etc but vaguely knowing this guy from years ago i think it will be a clapped out Black and Decker drill and a box of screws who knows but I'm not getting excited.

You never know though, will be intresting to see the out come :)

Well I'm going tomorrow night, got to go that way anyway so it's not a complete wasted journey.
I know there is a pair of welding bottles but they won't be legit and will have to be handed back in to BOC, might be hoses and gauges I don't know.
I'll post what there is but as I say he never had a workshop and these will probably be a few tools he had for working on his car and house. His wife doesn't have clue and she genuinely not interested, all she wants is this garage cleared so she can sell up and move on.

Well just got back from clearing out, no pics at the moment as it's all still loaded in the Donald and it's cluttered and dark here.

Opened the garage doors and stood there gob smacked because I didn't know he had an Emco lathe.

Neither did he and he hadn't ;D ;D

No it was much as I expected, one big set of gas bottles [ empty ] that will have to be handed back in, one small portapack sized bottles that can be sold on as you buy these bottles and may a 5 year contract to get them filled and changed.
These have regs, hoses and a small Sapphire torch, 5 or 6 packets of gas welding and and brazing rods.
A 140 amp buzz box welded in fair condition.
An Edwards vacuum pump powered by a single phase motor looks to be rigged up as a small compressor.
Sack bag with air grinder and a few fittings [ siezed ]

Small router in blow moulded box with tooling, looked newish but her son grabbed that.

And yes there was a lathe. When I saw it I recognised it as belonging to her first husband who was killed racing and who was big friend of mine.
I may even have got it for him but it's so long ago I can't remember.

It's a Pooles lathe http://www.lathes.co.uk/pools/index.html
It has the bottom plate, no legs and was setup as a bench lathe with the genuine countershaft and a single phase motor.
A very basic lathe but it looks complete and will make someone a decent starter lathe.

None of this stuff has been checked or tested so no idea what works and what doesn't. Probably swap the buzz box welder for mine as mine is crap, keep the vacuum pump for a vacuum table project for the CNC router and farm the rest on

chuck foster said:
i have tools from my dad and various other guys (some still with us and some not)........but in my opinion the greatest tool i have is all the knowledge and ideas that i have got from these people.............all of you guys are giving me tools every time i log in on this website.

so to ALL of you guys i say thanks for all the tools you have given me over the last year or so :bow: :bow: :bow:

chuck

Excellent reply Chuck +Karma !!

I too learn stuff EVERY time I log into this site :)

Mike

Cedge said:
Oddly enough I opened the computer to add a post not too different than this one you have going. ....
Brought a tear to my eye (not kidding), wonderful story ! A man parted with his cherished possessions and passing them onto a worthy successor. :bow: :bow:

Mike

Latest posts

Back