Sacred tools

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wareagle

Reaction score
I had an interesting discussion with my neighbor yesterday about tools that have been passed down from someone (family or friend) and the personal value of them. I had me thinking of what I had in my collection that had been passed from others, and come up with a whole list of items that have special meaning to me.

So, we all likely have enough tools to be guilty of some law somewhere (in my case, the law of SWMBO ;D). What tool(s) do you have in your collection that have special meaning and what is the brief story behind them? The tools could be useless and have no monetary value, but the meaning behind them is.

I'll give it a start: In my shop I have a great deal of tools that have been passed down to me from numerous people and all of them have special meaning to me, but the couple that come to mind are 1) an old body hammer that belonged to my grandfather and 2) a micrometer that belonged to my dad. Both my grandfather and dad are deceased which adds to the sentimental value of these tools.

The story behind the body hammer: My grandfather was a paint and body man back during the prohibition years. He worked nights. As the story goes, one of the bootleggers would bring their vehicle into his shop late at night and he would fit it with false floor boards with tanks below the false floors and would bring in a red car in the evening and it would leave the next morning a blue car. The body hammer that I have is old and isn't worth $.05 to the average person, but it has a lot of value to me.

The story behind the micrometer: My dad worked at General Dynamics on the F111 project and this was one of the tools he had when he was there. I remember growing up getting my tail end busted on more than one occasion when I would get it out and look at it. Being a young kid, I didn't understand the proper handling and care of precision tools, and I can't tell you how much trouble I was into surrounding that micrometer.

I have an old hand cranked bufalo forge drill press that was my dads. I remember cranking away on it as kid and drilled holes. Also a pedal driven whet stone grinding wheel. also my dads.
Also inherited a buddies Craftman 109 lathe
tin

A 9/16" wrench!

Doesn't sound terribly significant, but the story was.

My Dad was a Master Mechanic for the Fire Department, and his skills and knowledge were quite legendary.

What the guys at the fire house would do just to mess with him would be to steal his 9/16" wrenches.

9/16" is probably the most commonly used American wrench size ( 3/8" bolts) and this would drive him crazy!

"Who was stealing my wrenches!"

He stopped buying nice 9/16" wrenches and started buying the cheap ones and putting a bit of green tape on them.

That didn't stop the disappearances... ;D

The day he retired they let him in on the secret. :big:

30 years went by and my Dad passed. At the funeral one of his best friends gave me this cheap Tiawan made beat up old 9/16" wrench with green tape on it..... :)

The nice Craftsman 9/16 is in my tool box. Use it all the time. My dads clunker wrench was ceremoniously hidden in my shop in a place only I know.....a little joke between Dad and me ;D

Dave

The timing is kind of ironic on this an will attempt to make a short story long.
My niece is having an engagement party next weekend and getting married in the spring she has asked me to make /design some custom metal work (scroll work) for decorating at her wedding.

About a year ago, a long time acquaintance had passed away. Kind of a sad story the guy had dyslexia and had been misdiagnosed and placed in a home for the retarded (developmentally disabled) as a child and until he was an adult. As an adult he wanted to play catch up and learn and do as much as he could.He was an avid reader and would talk the ear off of anyone that would listen . He collected many tools But most of them he never used. lacking experience a mentor and being treated like a dummy it was hard for him to get ahead in life. He married a nurse that tried to good care of him. Walter was strong willed and wanted to do things his way and prove himself. So at the early age of 52 he passed away. He had congestive heart failure.
Well one of the tools Walter had was was a scroll work setup from Metalcraft I purchased that set from his widow.

Today I just got around to buying material 1/8 x 1/2 stock to proto- type the work for my niece and find I need to remake a part for the scroll bender apparent factory defect but the machine was bough new 10- 15 years ago. I could probably buy the part but Walter would probably expect me to just make it.
Tin

well WE your comments certainly rings bells.
only yesterday my 11 year old Granddaughter was on the wrong end of my tongue when i discovered her holding one of my Grandfathers Micrometers by the thimble and swinging it round and round to open it!!
On reflection it was perhaps my own fault for leaving it out, but on reading this post it really brought home the legacy of my own personal sacred artifact , Pop's tool chest and the memories it invokes every time I open it. Thankfully my Son has requested that he be bequeathed the chest (in his words "if nothing else" )but I sincerely hope I will continue to enjoy the use of its contents for a while yet!!

Well, I have few. Some sacred, some revered.

My maternal grandfather was a painter and wallpaper hanger. When he retired he passed his tools on to my father, his son-in-law. He was a cranky curmudgeon with 9 kids, so I guess giving them to my dad was something special. When my dad passed they came into my possession. Now, I don't know beans about hanging wallpaper so I'll probably never use them. But I'll never toss them out either.

I've acquired some tools from estate sales. Around here is McDonnell-Douglas country. And estate sales are usually the result of someone passing. So, pick up machinist tools at an estate sale there is a better than average chance they belonged to a Mac machinist or one of the smaller shops that supported Mac. The commercial tools, while not sacred, are held in some high regard. After all they could well have been used to help win the Cold War or were used to build the space program.

But it's the shop-made tools I've picked up that are special. Somebody took the time to make them to the very best of his abilities. That person has passed on. The highest honor I can bestow on that person's memory is to continue to use and care for the tools he made.

Well timed post.
Only this week I called round to see the widow of Dennis Jones who built the Jones racing bikes that feature in my avatar.
He left instructions that I could have something out of his workshop as a keepsake.
I chose his set of engineers drawers because I have been collecting the sets of drawers from other people as they pass on.
Most are more than willing to let me have these knowing I will keep them.
I now have about 5 or 6 sets in everyday use, non are pristine, all are used boxes that led a busy life, usually over a full lifetime.

I don't restore them as that would detract from how the owners used them, all I do is put a small engraved brass plaque on with the owners name and dates.

dennis_jones.jpg

Dennis was a twin and I also have his brothers, Glyn's, toolbox from when he was Myford's Development Engineer.

Good stuff guys. When I was at USAF Machinist school at Aberdeen PG MD in 1997 I had the opportunity to buy a machinist chest with tool from a gentleman in Lancaster PA. William (Bill ) Enners worked for pratt and Whitney aircraft during WWII. Many of his tools are engraved with his name and date of purchase. Some of the tool he made. He lowered the asking price significantly when he found out that I was learning the trade and not a dealer or tool collector.
My brother in law gave me a brown and sharp catalog of the same vintage. Many of the tools in " Bills " box were brown and sharp.
Tin

'Tin' thought you might enjoy a bit of input from me. In a couple of other places, I use 'p51mom', in honor of our son's favorite WWII aircraft - so I'll use that here as well. (FYI, I am not 'SWMBO'; I'm simply Tin's helpmate/wife.)

Anyway, to the topic...........

My Dad passed away in 1985, leaving behind a few older hand tools. When my Mom passed away in 1998, my two sisters and I started breaking up the household. My brothers-in-law knew there might be a couple of tools that I might like to have, as I had worked with my Dad on projects several times in my growing up years (my sisters were not mechanically inclined!). I ended up with Dad's leather-bound, 50ft tape measure (have to hand-wind it back into the case), his metal-cased, electric hand drill (only one I ever knew him to own, and it still work's great), and his small set of Model A tools (that had come with his Model A many moons ago). The times working with my Dad were the best hours I remember with him; we got along best then.

Those few tools are not exactly 'sacred', but they certainly are special to me.

Blessings.................p51mom

Since reading some of the replies, I have thought of another few toosl that has a lot of special meaning to it.

When 9/11 happened here in the States, I was working as a contractor at a major airline. Once the aviation fleet was grounded, there was nothing to do for several days. The management team at the airline liked us and our work, and so paid us to be there every day whether there was stuff happeneing or not. After a week or so, the card games and dominoes games got boring, so one of the machinists there took me under his wing and he started me into this amazing hobby.

To make a long atory short, he gave me a couple of machinist's items that I feel are the start of my machining tools. He gave me a Starrett double ended edge finder, a Starrett 6" steel rule, and a carbide tipped scribe. None of which is spectacular, but the gift of these tools reminds me of him and those weeks we played with the machinery everytime I grab one out of the tool chest. I am very grateful for him taking the time to teach me a basic foundation to start my skill set on.

i have tools from my dad and various other guys (some still with us and some not)........but in my opinion the greatest tool i have is all the knowledge and ideas that i have got from these people.............all of you guys are giving me tools every time i log in on this website.

so to ALL of you guys i say thanks for all the tools you have given me over the last year or so :bow: :bow: :bow:

chuck

Oddly enough I opened the computer to add a post not too different than this one you have going.

I have a buddy that I've run with for over 30 years. We're pretty tight and enjoy a lot of the same interests, although he isn't into machining. A while back when Zeusrekning was looking to buy a lathe, my friend, Steve offered to check with his uncle concerning one he had. As it turned out that lathe had been sold. Things worked out that Tim got a great deal on his whole shop from another source.

Yesterday, Steve called me and asked if I might be interested in looking at his uncle's tooling. We set up a time to meet today and dropped in on Uncle Clarke for a visit. After spending a while swapping industrial stories and such, Clarke lead us to his small shop out back and began opening drawers on his tool boxes. This went on for a few minutes before he took me by the arm, nudged me in front of the boxes and without saying another word, walked out of the shop and back into his house.

My buddy watched him as he walked away and told me the old guy had just gotten out of the hospital from a massive heart attack on Wednesday and that the trip to the shop had probably taxed his meager reserves a bit. I suspected something much different and probably more painful, but said nothing.

Let me tell you.... going through a man's tools with the purpose of taking them away is more than a little a bit like going through his personal diary. It leaves both of you a bit uncomfortable and very aware that you are on another man's sacred ground. I was very careful with his things and made sure that those I couldn't use were put back neatly in their proper place.

It took me a bit to finally get up the mind set to take the tools over to where he sat in his easy chair. The doleful look on his face told me my initial assessment of his hasty retreat was spot on. I sat the tools on the floor in front of him and as he leaned forward to see what I was taking from him, I stopped him. As luck had it, Steve had stayed outside, so I had the chance to speak with Clarke, just he and I. What does one say to a stranger from whom you are taking his most cherished toys?

Clarke looked a little startled as I told him the choice was still his to make. He could end all of this with no hard feelings, if he so wished. I told him I understood what the impending transaction meant to him and that all I could really promise him was that his tools would be respected and used with care. I also promised I would not be selling them.

I think he came pretty close to tears, but neither of us wanted that, so we looked each other in the eye and he spoke to me in low tones. He thanked me for making the decision easier to bear. He couldn't deal with the thought that I'd be selling his tools. He then took my just completed Water Pressure Engine in his hands and if one can lovingly caress a metal object, he managed it. After a few seconds, he smiled and told me that if his tools were going to produce that sort of thing, he was ready to part with them

Gentlemen.... I've thanked each of you for your sincere compliments on that little engine and I've meant it each time I did so. However, none of you could surpass the feeling that one old fellow gave me with his soft smile and his acceptance of me taking possession of his prized tools.

We began sorting through the boxes I'd sat in front of him and began a strange sort of negotiation. It was almost a reverse transaction, with him telling me a little about each item's history and trying to make me a fair deal. While I listened to his tales, I also worked to make sure he also got a square deal. It was different man than the one I met when I first arrived and his humor, dignity and easy sharing of knowledge had returned, along with a shy smile.

My buddy walked in and after watching us, made the comment that he'd never seen a deal done quite the way we were doing it. The old fellow looked up at him and said he hoped that Steve never lived to have to see another one like it. Big boisterous Steve was suddenly quiet, as he too soon realized what the day meant to all of us.

It was a huge haul with a nice fair price, but somehow I just don't feel like a good tool gloat tonight.

Steve

Steve and W/E

...................................................... :bow:

Wareagle
Sorry if the post was a wee bit somber, but it was a spcecial moment I felt needed sharing...... and who would understand it better than this crowd?

Steve

Steve, no problem! That was just a very touching story.

Really old guys and their tools - (I ain't as young as I used to be).

Before I retired, one of my volunteer oilers was a man of 90 years and came to the tug every week, still climbing the ladders and oiling the engine when operating.

Without a word he stopped coming for about a month. Then popped back up again. "Great to have you back," says I, "We were getting worried about you."

"I'm fine," he says, "But could you spare me a minute."

I followed him to his car and he opened up the boot and said, "Are these any good to you?". There were 2 micrometers 2-3" and 3-4", an 8" Vernier, a 4" square, a Moore & Wright Combination Set, a threading tool gauge and a beautiful Starret 12" Engineers Trammel!!

I looked at him in amazement, "Are you sure you want me to have them," I asked. "Yes, I know you will care for them," he said, "What about your son?" I asked.

Then he started to cry, his son, (a couple of years younger than me), went bush, got lost and died from exposure etc. (That's where he had been for his 2 week absence)

Then I was crying.

I cannot imagine what it would feel like to bury one of your children. I don't think I have ever felt as privileged as I did at that moment.

I use his tools on a regular basis, think of him often and revere his memory.
Bob

My Dad's fire helmet...his first one on the department, hangs on a peg in the shop.

18M3 on the badge ( his department radio call sign)

I guess it's a tool...if your in a building fire.

Steve, I cannot think of a more touching story than yours. Nor can I imagine your feelings each time you will use those tools. I know you'll think of Clarke each time you do. And you know there's a piece of him in each tool so he'll be watching over your shoulder. It kind of works like that, you know.

The only thing I have from my father's estate is a wood burning set and an incomplete rifle stock checkering set. I've used the checkering set on a few of my pens and it may wind up being used on the wooden pieces of some of the engines. But I don't believe they could mean to me what those tools do to you.

Enjoy them.

BEst regards,

Kludge

Latest posts

Back