Retirement Workshop

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This shop was built 4 years ago, and has somehow gotten smaller each year. The agreement with the wife was no construction could begin until after our daughters wedding.

This was saturday:

Lauren2.jpg

And a great day it was, but on monday it looked like this.

NewShop001.jpg

and this

PA230320.jpg

This is the rear of the garage and house, the addition is 16 X 30, After Trench inspection, poured footing inspection, and curing, build up wall, it looked like this.

PA310328.jpg

Now the framing, 2 x 6 walls,16 OC, 10 ft ceiling, big windows and a little one It begins to look like a workshop.

NewShop002.jpg

Looking at the house and garage from the new shop, double doors into the garage, single door into the house.

NewShop008.jpg

I use the garage entrance as my wheelchair doesn't do stairs, there is a ramp in the garage.

Closed in it looks right with the rest of the house, which was a goal of mine to keep the bride happy.

NewShop011.jpg

It was this empty for one day, inspection day.

PC200365.jpg

My buddy the builder did this quick for me, first shovel oct 20, last inspection dec 20

allphotos189.jpg

allphotos188.jpg

allphotos187.jpg

allphotos186.jpg

allphotos190.jpg

Some machines are gone the table saw and the shaper, were replaced with a surface grinder, a Myford OD grinder, a Gorton tool grinder, and a mohawk Drill grinder.

The heat is a single unit HeatPump that is great, cheap to run for heating, Cooling is the same cost as any other unit. Takes no inside space, it can be seen in the shot of the empty shop, nice and quiet as well.

Thanks for looking.

Lovely bride and a beautiful workshop. Great job !!!! You have one of my all time favorite lathe, a Monarch EE. There are a delight to run. Keep us posted on projects that start up.
All the best to you, Larry

A great workshop. Well equipped and well laid out. It looks like a really comfortable place to be.

Thanks for showing

Jim

Ummm....As a workshop that's a better looking room than any room in my house! And I just love the lathe and especially the old timber tool boxes, awesome stuff. Congrats on a great workshop!

cheers, Ian

Looks awesome but I would be worried if I forgot to wipe my feet ;)

This shop was built 4 years ago, and has somehow gotten smaller each year. The agreement with the wife was no construction could begin until after our daughters wedding.

This was saturday:

Lauren2.jpg

And a great day it was, but on monday it looked like this.

NewShop001.jpg

and this

PA230320.jpg

This is the rear of the garage and house, the addition is 16 X 30, After Trench inspection, poured footing inspection, and curing, build up wall, it looked like this.

PA310328.jpg

Now the framing, 2 x 6 walls,16 OC, 10 ft ceiling, big windows and a little one It begins to look like a workshop.

NewShop002.jpg

Looking at the house and garage from the new shop, double doors into the garage, single door into the house.

NewShop008.jpg

I use the garage entrance as my wheelchair doesn't do stairs, there is a ramp in the garage.

Closed in it looks right with the rest of the house, which was a goal of mine to keep the bride happy.

NewShop011.jpg

It was this empty for one day, inspection day.

PC200365.jpg

My buddy the builder did this quick for me, first shovel oct 20, last inspection dec 20

allphotos189.jpg

allphotos188.jpg

allphotos187.jpg

allphotos186.jpg

allphotos190.jpg

Some machines are gone the table saw and the shaper, were replaced with a surface grinder, a Myford OD grinder, a Gorton tool grinder, and a mohawk Drill grinder.

The heat is a single unit HeatPump that is great, cheap to run for heating, Cooling is the same cost as any other unit. Takes no inside space, it can be seen in the shot of the empty shop, nice and quiet as well.

Thanks for looking.

Wonderful shop!

4 grinders, huh. Wow.

Mosey

Thanks for the kind comments, its more cluttered today than the photos show.

Rodw no need to wipe your shoes when coming in, suggested to do so when leaving. I am forced by SWMBO to change wheelchairs before coming in the house though, tire treads love those little chips.

I also think you have a beautiful daughter. Trust she has found a "Wonderful" Fellow to take care of her.

Secondly, I like your nice clean shop.. Hope you find lots of projects to "mess it up"..

Third, I like your little motto....."My Wheels don't slow me down" . This is where all of us with all parts working should stop and Thank GOD for our Health and Strength. Due to a accident I had with a chip of wood meeting head on with my right eye, I am now blind in that one eye. But I am still thankful for all the other features that are still working.

May you have many years to enjoy your new surroundings.

Harvey,
in Kelowna, BC.

Hello Tom,

Great looking shop! I have built my retirement shop also, which I recently posted a video here. I intended to make great use of it when I retired last July, but unfortunately I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis the same month! I am finding it more difficult to get around, but am determined to continue my hobby as long as possible. I notice you are in a wheel chair, a situation I may be in before long. Can you stand at your machines or have you made modifications to them or lowered some of your equipment to make it easier to use, etc.?

Not trying to be noisy, just looking for advice on how to prepare for what is likely coming.

Thanks,

Al

Al, I've no problem discussing my situation. I did not real modification to the machines. The bridgeport I added a power drawbar, the surface grinder I added a lower depth feed wheel. These can be seen in my post in the forum Machining with Disabilities. The ability to lift things is a big issue for me so lifts and rolling tables are of great help.

I do everything from seated in the chair, I recently got a standup chair, but a pressure sore on my heel prevents me from using it. Although I did try it out of course, first time in 12 years I stood up, my heart has to get used to pumping blood that high, it seems to be a slow learner.

Tom I traded you pictures of your house up in Mountain Top , PA for a piece of S.S.. I didn't realize you were handicapped. God Bless You and the best of luck using your shop. I wish my 12X24 shed was as neat as your shop. Mine needs to be organized. Some day. I'm in remission from Lymphoma and finally will finish Chemo in Sept. My re-model of rental house is finished and now between cutting firewood ,garden and yard work I'll get back to my hit and miss engine project. I used every bit of the S.S. you sold me. If I ever need more I know where to get it. Thanks again.
Enjoy retirement
Boot

Its great to hear your beating the cancer, and can again work on your engines. Yup, there is still material left from the shaft, whenever you would like it. Keep making the chips.

Tom, wonderful shop, really nice machines. My shop is a little smaller and my machines small as well, however, proud to say maybe as neat as yours.

Thanks for the pictures; lovely young lady as well.

Tom, nice shop ... I know you will really enjoy it in your retirement.

I gotta comment on your beautiful early square dial 10EE ... I'm actually surprised nobody has mentioned it! It's awesome. You gonna run that from your wheelchair?

I have a 52 10EE ... nearly identical to yours. My favorite piece of equipment in the shop. Very few of us get to enjoy the luxury of making stuff on them! Cheers, Bill

Nightshift, Yeah I run all the my machines from my chair. You might note the center cover on the 10EE is missing, thats where my feet go sometimes. I also added witness lines to the compound dial, left and right as I can't see the one on the top. The only real modification I did to any of my machines is relocate the depth handwheel on my surface grinder.

Those can be viewed in my post in the Disabilities forum.Shop Tricks

Tom beaut looking workshop here am I whinging because I have trouble with my hands and fingers during our winter and your doing all this from your chair. I know how hard that can be I hate working from mine it will come perm one day I guess as I get weaker. Then I will have to rearrange or stop doing.

Ray

Looks great. Very bright & much light. Really a great great workshop. Also much place for driving with the wheelchair.
I hope you have not more a smell from the build & the paint in your workplace , but a GOOD smell from the machines , the iron & oil!!!

best regards

Barry

Back