Retirement Workshop

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are a lucky man Tom. Thanks for sharing your shop with us. I'll have to show it to my DAV son who is wheelchair bound.
So, why did you get rid of your shaper? I don't run mine often, but it makes me smile just seeing it, running it is an absolute hoot.
If I may, how long is the ramp from your garage to house and what is the height difference? I read the 'standards' and just want some real experience to follow. I would like to build a deck that would be attached to my son's bedroom, with a ramp to reach the ground if he wants. He uses a power chair.

The normal ramp for ADA is 1:10 which is way too long for most homes, With a power chair the limit is what the wheelie bars do, lift the drive wheels or flex as the chair moves from level floor and begins up the ramp. My angle in the garage is a 22" rise and a 12 foot ramp, so about 1:6

At this angle if I lean back the chair will wheelie the length of the ramp, If I lean forward just a bit the front wheels stay put. It make no difference in steering, but surprising anyone not used to seeing a power chair wheelie.

On chair I have has no issue with the bars, and they are fixed mount, the other chair a Quickie 626 I had to put smaller wheels on the wheelie bars so the drive wheels didn't spin as the chair transitioned from level to incline.

What is the level of your sons SCI?

Awww...now I've got shop envy. Great digs.

I am crowded into a basement that gets pretty cool in the winter and no way can I get my mill down there so that is in a different place; 20 minute walk or 4-5 drive away.

Tom, I found it. Your shop is much to clear and clean. You cannot walk through my shop let alone get a chair through it. Hope the tail stock meets with your approval. It is due today. I will await your approval or your desire to return it. Dave

Latest posts

Back