Reid casting kit

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom T

Reaction score
Hello I have started my first model engine from castings and thought I would share it with this fine group here. It is a 1/ 8 scale Reid 6 hp 2 stroke. Tom
101_1100.jpg

Here is my first one piece crankshaft .
101_1104.jpg

101_1106.jpg

100_2083.jpg

Tom,

Great start :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Maryak said:
Tom,

Great start :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Ditto! ;D Looking good and you started with the tough part first....brave!

Dave

Tom, that'll be a nice little engine when finished! Can't wait to see it run.

Chuck

Thanks guys. Mike N I bought this kit off engineads and no plans came with it. I went looking on the net for plans and found that Burns & Horner Engine Co. was sold and the new phone number is no longer good. A guy did send me plans for a 1/4 scale left hand Reid. Here is a video of a 15HP Reid the outside piston is the charge cylinder for the power piston. Tom

gilessim said:
Nice work on that crankshaft!, well done!

Giles

X2 It looks as if the turning tool would have to be extended quite a ways to turn the journal. Not easy, and pretty unbalanced too.

Nice start on a unique engine .I've been working on the 1/4 Scale version on this engine for some time now , I have included the clutch and power that Brad Smith offered.

Hey guys thanks for the replies. Sorry I didn't post more along the build, you didn't want to see a guy making parts over and over again. And throwing wrenches and jumping up and down. This was definitely a challenge. I have never built an engine from castings. I suppose it would of been easier with the right plans. The plans say to build the valves using ball and seat with a light spring. I could not get the balls to seat. So I built it with stem valves. The gear box is a 54 to 1 ratio with eccentric drive. It will drive a couple of pump jacks off of rod lines. Tom

Very nice! I love the Reid. Is that engine governed?

Chuck

Lovely engine. :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Thanks Bob, Chuck This engine has no governor. The full size one has a flyball governor controlling the fuel. Here is one more video with the pump jack. TomT

Latest posts

Back