Reaming en8

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spikie1

Reaction score
Anyone got any tips on reaming en8 as I'm struggling to get a nice finish the surface looks almost torn instead of nice smooth mirror Finish

Spike, EN8 doesn't ream well - however if you take only a light cut with a sharp (newish) machine reamer using a high pressure / sulpherised lubricant you can get a good finish.

Are you using a machine reamer - a hand reamer has a tapered lead that cuts over a long area and tend to tear.

Ken

Also , don't take too much stock out with the reamer....bore the hole undersized by a say .003"....then ream it like Ken suggests, and don't spare the lubricant...you want to get the chips out of the cut zone.

Dave

Machine reamer and boring it out to size really isn't an option takes to much time and if was to bore it first I would end up finishing it to size I'll try a better lubricant I'm a production machinist so speed is of the essence for me I normally drill to within 1/4 mm then ream it using the normal White water/oil based lube I have a choice of a wd40 type lube and a much thicker cutting oil normally used for tapping

Don't think too much of WD40 as a cutting lubricant (except for aluminium) - the "thick" tapping fluid sounds like a better bet.

What diameter reamer are we talking of here ?

Ken

try drilling the hole .005 or.006 under and then take a new drill of the right size, and flatten off the cutting edges and use that instead of the reamer, with the flatten cutting edges it will cut like a reamer only less cutting edges good luck jonesie

20-30 mm reamers normally 150 deep to small for my availible boring bars

Check you reamers for damage on the cutting edges a slight pip or score mark on one and it will cause nothing but trouble, also get some rocol or similar cutting fluid/paste, I drill and ream en8/high carbon steels all day and only get a bad finish with a reamer when some idiot throws the reamers round and puts them back in the draws unprotected so they get damaged. En8 likes around 50% drill speed 120/140% feed of the drill you used as a good guideline, also try to machine feed the reamer and keep cleaning the swarf out regularly if you arn't already.

Good points from Woodchip - Rocol lubricant (I always have a bottle to hand) and care / condition of reamers.

I ran a production run on EN8 (100's of thousands of parts over many years on Index C60 autos) reaming 23mm diameter x 20 deep - found 22.5 drill too small, eventually got some 22.9's for the job.

150mm deep - wow - that's deep - you need to be sure your alignment is spot on - alternatively use a floating holder for the reamer (self aligning).

Ken

Latest posts

Back