Really basic newbe question

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffF

Reaction score
So far, my experience with building model steam engines is limited to assembling pre-machined kits. I have been doing a lot of research on metal lathes and milling machines and have yet to decide if trying to learn how to use them on my own is realistic. The local tech school only offers courses in CNC, so I can't turn to them to learn how to use the equipment. Some feedback on how hard this will/could be might be helpful. I don't know anyone who has experience, so it would be a self-taught process.

Just as a start, I have a question about cutting on the lathe and heat buildup on the metal stock. How do you lubricate/cool the metal while cutting without making a huge mess all over the place? I see Micro Mark has an attachment for cooling metal while turning on the lathe, but all that liquid has to go somewhere! Do you always use a lubricant/coolant when turning pieces, or just for specific stock or operations?

I guess I'm just in the dark about how messy this gets and how one cleans up.

TIA for any help. I have been reading the forums and looking at the work you guys do and it is unbelievable.

Jeff

Hi Jeff.

I'm a complete newbie as well, having had my lathe less than a month, so I don't have too many answers for you, but I have a little bit of insight.

There's lots of help to be found both here and all over the 'net and my skills have improved from absolutely zero, to the point that my first engine build (a flamelicker) ran on it's own 2 days ago. So it's definitely doable to learn without attending a course of any kind.

As for cooling, I have no coolant feed set up at all on my lathe or mill yet, and I have only used WD40 as a coolant/lube a couple of times so far. I don't know when it's required, but as I tend to make lightish cuts, so far I haven't had an issue. I've machined aluminium, brass, graphite and several different mystery steels already, and they've all worked out.

It's a great hobby, and very rewarding, but awfully addictive :p.

Good luck!

Jeff, if you post your location, you may find someone near you that can be a mentor.
As to your other questions, cooling and or cutting fluid use depends on the material and or tooling used. Some folks use flood cooling with a set up to deliver, collect, filter, and recycle the coolant.
I seldom use coolant, but sometimes use cutting fluid for tapping, and wd-40 on aluminum applied with either a spray can, or dribbled on with a brush.

Chuck

Thanks guys! I am in Janesville, Wisconsin, so if there are any folks around here just dying to have someone look over their shoulder, I would love to meet them. My email address is [email protected].

I did find a course on line that is a 30 hour instructional course that looks pretty extensive. $500 is a bit pricey, but might be worth it to avoid the pitfalls of going it on my own.

Jeff

You should be able to find instructional videos on Youtube for just abou all your needs. Try those of Tubal Cain. Also Mitttech -University of Michigan I believe do some excellent videos. You should have no need for recourse to paying or personal instruction these days. Tomol

Most of us with small machines don't use flood coolant. I buy a light cutting oil in an aerosol can that is good for both aluminum and steel. You can also buy it in bulk and use a small finger powered squirted (like a Windex bottle) that has an adjustable orifice. Some people use a squirt can of cutting oil, others apply it with a small paint brush, although that can get quite exciting if the rotating work grabs the bristles.---Brian

I found an index of the Tubal Cain Youtube videos and they are GREAT! Thank you!

Jeff

Only you know if you can be self taught .there is a good chance you will end up with an idiot for either a teacher or a student. (yes a little Joke thrown in)
I will say a lot of folks here are self taught more or less. there are dozens of books that are available for free download. and as others have said hundreds of related videos out there.
the MIT Machine shop series is pretty extensive. each one is about 45 minutes.
Smithy has a small hand full of short info packed videos that are pretty decent.
And of course on line forums. READ lots of books and posts watch some videos and then ask questions.
if you have not yet read it read my getting started in Model engineering thread.

as far as lube coolant IMHO most home shops do not use flood coolant.
I usually just brush or drip some on when needed.
sulpherized cutting oil for steel think plumbers thread cutting oil. so any plumbing supply and many home centers will have it.
aluminum use WD-40 Kerosene lamp oil or the like . Helps keeps the aluminum from sticking to the cutter.
brass does not usually need lube but a gp cutting oil will work .
cast iron hold the shop vac hose to the cutter.
Not real messy clean up chips as you go and clean up the machine with paper towels when done. I use blue shop towels sparingly . a shop vac help clean up small chips .
Tin

Hi Jeff

All good info so far; one thing that happens when your feeds and speeds are correct is that most of the heat is carried away in the chips and not put into the work piece. I only use cutting oil on my lathe; these Spill Master oil cups are quite handy. If you are doing any parting operations you will need to keep the cut lubricated at all times; I just use the acid brush to do this.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=891-5999&PMPXNO=3905652&PARTPG=INLMK32

As far a clean up; I carefully pick up the big stringy chips using leather gloves; then vacuum up all the small chips with a shop vac. And finish up with a shop towel.

On the mill; I use a micro drop system (not cheap) that mixes a very small amount of special cutting oil with air and and delivers it to the cutting tool. The oil is dispensed right at the tip and the air stream pulls it off the tip so there is no fogging of the shop like some mist systems.

Come on in the waters fine!

Dave

Last edited:
Oh yea,

As far as messy; well it can get pretty bad. I have been known to throw chips clear across the shop with a fly cutter.

2891889210053545466S600x600Q85.jpg

Dave

I am self taught though I did observe some videos on how to correctly use a lathe, also about obtaining zero via x, y, z axis while cutting a bar or drilling a hole. I designed my own engine and through trial and error, managed to make it work. Right now I am working on a bearing that failed and adjusting timing to make sure it's correct. The people here are kind and willing to give advice. Oh yes, I have to learn how to post pictures and perhaps a small video of my engine.

Regarding lubrication? I don't have an automatic cooler. Depending on material I use oil or WD40. I observed a video in which the person used a drill center before drilling out a hole. Not a drop of lube was used as it might make the drill wander.

There are other sources of machining information. Try Google and search, Technical video rentals.

Hi ,

I am a relative newbie too as I have only been in this hobby for just over 18 months. If you intend to use a small machine for a hobby then I'd suggest that you go manual rather than cnc. For model engine building it is a lot easier and quicker to do things manually. A power assisted machine is however something else and a lot of small cnc machines could be used in the manual jog mode to take the hard work out of machining. As for the coolant I don't think that a hobby machine needs it so long as you keep to the right speed and feed rate, those cooling systems are more for automated cnc production machines that need to be left unsupervised. A small amount of cutting oil applied to the tip of the tool is something else and need not make any more mess than you already have.
There are some videos on the you tube that you could watch, a couple have already been mentioned. I would add the video series from Tryally Technology and would also recommend that you visit the site from Dean photographica , Dean william Ibelive the gentleman's name is, so you could get an idea of what could be done on a miniature machine.

Best of luck,

A.G

Latest posts

Back